Best wheels for chicken tractor? Where to look?

Pics

Sweetbliss

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I have been considering building a chicken tractor, but I'm a little stumped on what kind of wheels would work the best and where to find them.

I would like them to:

- Be fairly "tall" so the tractor is up a little higher

- Be super durable, since they'll be outside all the time (I'm guessing air-pumped wheels are not as good for this).

- Be easy to install on whatever size and shape of coop I end up making (at least 4 feet by 8 feet)

Do any of you know what type of wheel would work best for this - and where I can find some (at a decent price?)

The decent price is the problem. You cannot get anything for a decent price anymore.

I used two old lawn mower wheels on mine. The lawn mower was junk but the wheels were still OK. Lawn mower wheels come in different sizes, but maybe you can come up with something.

I agree the taller the easier to move on rough ground, but you might consider supporting them a bit outside the tractor frame. If they extend a bit outside, you can get the tractor part off the ground easier. The way I did it was to put two wheels on one end and pick up the other end to pull it by.

TSC put the rubber wheels on sale every sop ofetn for $4.95 or $8.95 can't remember.

They are not that big so I use a lever system to put them down for travel.

34316_dscn1488.jpg

Something to consider.

On my chicken tractor, I can lower the wheels when I want to move it and then raise them once its is stationary. It is an incredibly easy, yet functional design. This ensures there are no gaps along the bottom and that I can balance the coop on the wheels rather than lifting anything. I had people try and talk me into larger wheels, but then I would not have been able to build it the way I did. Not my design by the way. I can move my tractor all over the yard with ease.

Hope this image works

109143_coop4_small.jpg

edited to add image

Last edited:
I do like the wheels that you can raise to move it and lower to park it but where can you purchase such a system or how do you create it.
I am also building a tractorcoop and the nicest design I have seen has used wagon wheels...it is a great look but wagon wheels are really expensive.

I never thought of mountain bike wheels. Sounds fantastic.
smile.png
I'm wondering if there are some affordable pop-proof kind out there. (I know "affordable" is hard to find anywhere!) Very neat, notiones! My husband was just telling me we ought to do something like that - so the tires don't sit in the mud for long periods of time, etc. Where did you find the parts and ideas for that?

Quote:
Quote:
I bought plans for the coop from http://www.chickenmobilestagecoach.com/ , which for me was quite necessary to complete something this complicated, but the wheels are super easy to build and don't require any plans. I'll try to get a close up picture posted tomorrow. It's not much more than something to make a handle out of, two wheels, 6 bolts and some nuts and washers.

Quote:
it was a guy down the street that had this setup with the mountain bike wheels. No worries on getting a flat. He took the tire and tube right off it and just had the wheel. Looked like it worked very well for him.

Back
Top Bottom