Best wire gauge for chicken yard

kamuelamom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Is 12 gauge wire overkill for a chicken yard? I am content with 14 gauge to save $$ but my husband thinks everything needs to be industrial grade. 12 gauge will hold in horses. These are only chickens. We live where predators are minimum, occasionally a stray dog, but that's it. No racoons, bears, hawks, etc. Nothing of the sort here in the islands. Please help.

We will be using 19. We are currently building a coop and run and I have already purchased the hardware cloth. Good luck!

2'x4' 19 ga welded wire at 5ft tall and a 2ft section of 19ga hardware cloth around the bottom for 8 RIR and haven't had a problem yet ,kow.

We use 14 ga. 2"X4" on all our coops. The only predators I know that it might not stop would be bears and rhinos................Other than that dont waste your money on anything stronger.

I used 12 gauge vinyl coated 2x2 wire and i think 16 gauge vinyl coated hardware cloth. You can find decent prices online but it is still expensive. The reason I went with the heavier wire is because I liked the looks and I wanted it to last a long time. I think though that you would be fine though with a lighter wire than I bought. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom