Best/Worst Show Awards

CarolinaHen

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2013
South Carolina
I am in charge of the awards/ribbons/trophies for our next show. Any input on your best awards received, worst awards, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Ribbons and rosettes are a given. There are some people in our club that would like to see silver platters awarded, large trophies, etc. Others of us feel that such things are not as useful as perhaps a monogrammed tote bag, etc. Suggestions??

When I was active in showing Dobermans many years ago silver platters and the like usually only went out for really big wins (i.e. Best in Show at a show with over a thousand dogs participating etc...).

Most of the specialty shows (i.e. shows only for Dobermans put on by regional clubs) gave out small metal medallions with the club logo for a number of titles, even first place (course it would be first place out of 30-40 dogs).

It is one of the few things I still have from my dog showing days 25 years ago, I keep it on my key chain and I still remember it was from the Redwood Empire show in California sometime in the late 80's. Not sure what type of metal it is (pewter?) but it holds up even on a key chain and is a cherished reminder even decades later. I am sentimental and like things that last. Things like tote bags won't last more than a year or two.

Course silver platters last too, I know we won a couple but sadly can't even remember where they are (I no longer have a display area for awards since I don't show anymore). I would guess the folks that DO have displays set up in their homes would love the larger platters etc...whereas those that do NOT like more practical items.

See below:

Last edited:
When I was active in showing Dobermans many years ago silver platters and the like usually only went out for really big wins (i.e. Best in Show at a show with over a thousand dogs participating etc...).

Most of the specialty shows (i.e. shows only for Dobermans put on by regional clubs) gave out small metal medallions with the club logo for a number of titles, even first place (course it would be first place out of 30-40 dogs).

It is one of the few things I still have from my dog showing days 25 years ago, I keep it on my key chain and I still remember it was from the Redwood Empire show in California sometime in the late 80's. Not sure what type of metal it is (pewter?) but it holds up even on a key chain and is a cherished reminder even decades later. I am sentimental and like things that last. Things like tote bags won't last more than a year or two.

Course silver platters last too, I know we won a couple but sadly can't even remember where they are (I no longer have a display area for awards since I don't show anymore). I would guess the folks that DO have displays set up in their homes would love the larger platters etc...whereas those that do NOT like more practical items.

See below:

I showed Manchesters! Love the black and tan breeds
love.gif

I'm with you on the practical items. Keychains are a great idea!

I am in charge of the awards/ribbons/trophies for our next show. Any input on your best awards received, worst awards, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Ribbons and rosettes are a given. There are some people in our club that would like to see silver platters awarded, large trophies, etc. Others of us feel that such things are not as useful as perhaps a monogrammed tote bag, etc. Suggestions??
How about a breed-specific classic book by a breeder for each of the breeds?
Or a gift certificate to one of the vendors at the show?
That way they could use the certificate and get a show discount too!
Best Regards,
Karen

I went to the cafe press web site and designed some water bottles for a breed club a couple of years back, not really an award but in addition to a little plaque for a junior award. I used a Diane Jacky illustration of the breed. She has illustrations of most APA breeds at her Cafe Press store. Cafe Press has many items you can customize.

WORST award I ever received was at a horse show - McDonalds gift cards. :-(

Best award - probably a personalized folding Director's chair.

I went to the cafe press web site and designed some water bottles for a breed club a couple of years back, not really an award but in addition to a little plaque for a junior award. I used a Diane Jacky illustration of the breed. She has illustrations of most APA breeds at her Cafe Press store. Cafe Press has many items you can customize.

WORST award I ever received was at a horse show - McDonalds gift cards. :-(

Best award - probably a personalized folding Director's chair.
Café Press is a great idea too! I think we will skip the McDonalds gift cards
wink.png

Café Press is a great idea too! I think we will skip the McDonalds gift cards
wink.png

And you probably know this but with Cafe Press you can upload any graphic and have it printed (as long as it isn't copyrighted by someone else). If you want to use your own graphic I would probably shop for another custom online place though as they will likely be cheaper.

And you probably know this but with Cafe Press you can upload any graphic and have it printed (as long as it isn't copyrighted by someone else). If you want to use your own graphic I would probably shop for another custom online place though as they will likely be cheaper.
Since we will only need a few items for the ones on champion row, Café Press will work beautifully :)

Back
Top Bottom