Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1950-1960 complete set of National Geographic

• Hatching eggs

• An old lamp

• Total voters
We call it Chinese Christmas Gift Swap. There are over 30 of us so it makes for some funny gifts, and even funnier fights over the best ones. The worst gift was a rotten potato. My uncle let it sit in his garage fridge the entire year, then wrapped in in a beautiful box (so of course everyone wanted it). Another time he wrapped a $10 bill around a tootsie roll and then rewrapped the candy in the original wrapper. He put it in a tiny box, so all you thought you got was a tootsie roll until you went to eat it. It is pretty funny to see 5 adults and 5 kids fighting over the best gift, normally a set of bath soaps.

We play this game with my side of the family,(well, my Dad and his wife) and have just recently started with my husband's side. My side with my dad kind of do nicer white elephant gifts, so even though there is still the game of taking turns and "stealing" or choosing a gift, the gifts are usually pretty nice. Stuff like itunes gcs, or nice fuzzy socks. Now, on my hubby's side, we play that the gifts should be something along the lines of something you don't want anymore, or something silly. Last year, my mil contributed a decorative teapot. She thought it was ugly and was almost embarassed about, but I loved it. I have a very Asian theme in my house, and although this vase was more Victorian, it could almost pass as oriental too. I think it is very pretty, and it goes with my decor. She said they had it appraised and it's worth at least $50.00, so not a bad w.e. gift!

Back
Top Bottom