Beta Rooster

Chickhen1

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2022
I got a rooster from a friend who thought I could take care of it. His head feathers had been pulled out. I took it inside and gave it the treatment for about a month then sent him back outside. My hens plucked his feathers out so he has a bald spot on his head again. I have him inside currently I was hoping for so help to make him be more dominant. He was the Beta rooster in my friend's flock of about 4 roosters. He didn't even crow for the first week I h.ad him. He is a golden-laced poolish rooster. My head hen is the only barred rock in my flock. My flock is 13 not including him. There are no other rooster in my flock

Attachments

• 20220218_142210.jpg
    20220218_142210.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 25
Did you do a proper integration technique or just throw him in there with your girls? Rooster or no, if there's a new chicken in the coop all the other ones are going to attack it to establish the pecking order, sometimes very aggressively.

I put him out there for about an hour each day and sat there to watch what would happen. He seemed alright he went inside and was okay. The only thing that happened was at the beginning the first time I introduced him the barred rock head hen (Rebbeca) flew up at him they both did but it didn't happen again. I found him hiding behind the board I have in the coop that acts as an egg box for the hens with the feathers pulled.

It's okay to have him out with your hens in open space but don't leave him in the coop with them to fend for himself. He needs his own space if left in the coop. Like in a dog crate or a cage big enough for him to move around. It usually takes about a month for new bird to get use to it's surroundings. Plus everything is new to him and it takes time for him to adjust to his new home.

I'm just worried that he didn't crow for a week. He also seemed to be eating way too much food and drinking way too much water. If I put him in the cage how will I know when he is ready? I have had him inside for almost a week now and his head doesn't look any better. The blue stuff on his head was rooster-booster.

I usually treat injuries like that with hydrogen peroxide then apply neosporin in semi thick layer. It takes 2 treatment to heal the injury generally.

The only time he is in his cage should be at night time. Make sure this is a routine. During the day he should be free to roam with the flock. The 1 month period is a suggestion. You should be able to judge his reactions and demeanor in the following weeks to determine if he's ready to be with the flock without incidents.

His anxiety and stress from his recent experience is probably causing him to eat and drink a lot. Chicken do experience trauma. So be mindful of that.

Back
Top Bottom