Better insulating Styrofoam incubator?

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm wondering if anyone has tried to better insulate a Styrofoam incubator? I have a hovabator 1602n and would like to build a new one eventually but in the time being I'm wondering if something like foam board (pink foam) would work to make a box around the incubator? Has anyone tried anything to improve insulating these types of bators?

Ours works good but only in a already warm room. In any room with doors and a/c vents open it can't get up to temperature.

Thoughts?

I made an incubator out of foam board. In the picture, at the front it has the lid leaning against the incubator. It has extra insulation glued to the inside of the lid either side of the double glazed (picture frame) window. Additionally the incubator sits on another sheet of foam board. The incubator holds temperature well out in the shed with current temperatures down to 4 Celsius at night and only about 10 in the day (40-50F). It has water containers of about 8 litres below the eggs to hold temps stable. The heat is only supplied by a 40W globe that is on about half of the time. My guess is that a foam box around a well functioning incubator should be able to get up to temp. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I made an incubator out of foam board. In the picture, at the front it has the lid leaning against the incubator. It has extra insulation glued to the inside of the lid either side of the double glazed (picture frame) window. Additionally the incubator sits on another sheet of foam board. Tho incubator hold temperature well out in the shed with current temperatures down to 4 Celsius at night and only about 10 in the day (40-50F). It has water containers of about 8 litres below the eggs to hold temps stable. The heat is only supplied by a 40W globe that is on about half of the time. My guess is that a foam box around a well functioning incubator should be able to get up to temp. Hope this helps.
Awesome! that does help! I would bet making a foam box around my incubator would improve it quite a bit. If it works I'll update with pictures in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom