Better than rooster ? for chickens hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rexrapter1234, Jul 16, 2018.

1. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    Okay thanks

Okay. My family home has plenty of people, that walk past my mum's house. plus my mum run's two holiday caravans, which when booked, the chickens get kept in the run, they are normaly free range.

Well only did it to him two times, so far. plus my family and my mum's friend has kicked him when he's attacked. "Yes my mums frend said that when he goes to attack if you attack with your leg before he attacks, it will stop his attack and he will give up in the end." Well it just made my rooster mad and he would not stop attacking him, end up with blood. I know kicking a rooster my attack to a rooster.

Okay did now a hen come be flock alarm, thanks.

Okay

2. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    Oh he like to chase people, normaly my brother my mum's male friends or me. He hate human males.

3. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Crowing

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Sounds like you need to invite him to dinner! What breed is he?

Usually the oriental fluffy standard size chickens are quite mild mannered, even the males! Like the Brahma and Cochin (in some countries they are called "Pekin") I'm guessing you are down under in NZ or Australia?

4. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    He a X Breed (mix bread).

Okay

No, I live in United Kingdom.

5. Dr.Dale

Dr.Dale Songster

Dec 22, 2017
    North Carolina, USA
    That is my recommendation too

6. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    My boy is still young but he is showing some promising signs.

Now I am a first time chicken owner. I had no clue that out of the 4 girls there were two boys. The leghorn was never overly friendly but never aggressive, I had a gut feeling on him. The Silver lace kept me guessing and I really didn't treat him any different then the girls. When He was a baby he came and laid in my lap with the girls. Now he is older and he moves out of my way, will come for treats or check to see if I have treats and I handle the hens whenever I want. If I think he is looking at me funny I tell him to back off in a stern voice. I just had four smaller ones stuck, they were making all kinds of noise and he just watched as I helped them. Once they were ok he walked away. The way I see it, I'm in charge and he knows it. I just hope he stays on this path because I really don't want to deal with an aggressive rooster. He is almost 5 months old.

7. Ohmyheart

Ohmyheart Songster

Mar 27, 2017
    North Little Rock, AR
    I have a few hens that are great alert systems. They will go off and the other stop and look the younger ones runs to them. We don't free range though so no need for them to hide.

I would not keep that rooster. It's time for him to go.
    If you really want a good rooster I would look for one that is already proven. I'm sure you can find a mature roo that is not aggressive.

8. rexrapter1234

rexrapter1234 Songster

Aug 17, 2016
    Okay

Okay

9. Guineas are only effective at alerting the chickens' owner who then must rush out of the house with a 12 gauge shotgun at high port arms and use said scatter gun and blast the predator into the next world for messing with your chickens. This video supplies a good example of the effectiveness of a flock of guineas have at protecting a flock of chickens. Fast forward to about minute one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: