better to start off with 3 and progress 5-6 later, or start with 5-6?

Sambly

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
Hi
I have never had chickens before although I've known a few where I used to work
Thing is I'm torn between starting with three then getting 2-3 more later once I'm more experienced or starting with5-6 as it looks like adding is tricky....
Thanks

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

I'd suggest starting off with your max - no integration issues etc etc. If you want to make the learning curve even easier, then go for point of lay pullets - no messing around with brooders, sex guaranteed and you'll get eggs a lot sooner. You could then plan for next spring with your chicks.

CT

My opinion, if you are getting new born chicks go with 5-6. Typically one or two may not survive. If you are getting grown chickens, you can start off with just the 3. They seem to be hardier and you are less likely to lose one.
Either way, buy or build a coop and run big enough for 10 or more. The more area you have, the more comfortable they are and it makes adding more birds easier, later on.

I second that comment
1f44d-1f3fe.png
1f595-1f3ff.png
270b-1f3fc.png

Get what you intend for a flock size, but make your coop/run twice as big as your intended flock size, perhaps with easy coop divider in mind so that when the first flock stops laying, you have room for chicks. Or you can manage a roo or a broody hen if you have more room. Recommended coop/run size = 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run/bird. More if starting chicks, dealing with broody or roo in the future. Easiest coop to manage: soil floor with good drainage, deep litter, buried hardware cloth skirt (1/2" welded mesh)

Starting with 5-6 makes things easier in the long run. The brooder needs for 6 is the same as for 3 and the difference in food and water is hardly noticeable. By the time they reach point of lay the pecking order will be set, usually with no blood shed involved that can occur with later integration and chicks that are raised together just seem to have a closer bond.

Thanks everyone, you are all so helpful :)
I've finished shed 6x4 shed with concrete floor, just need to make roosting bars . And nearly finished run which is about 15-20square meters. I'll fence this area off, but they will also be able to come into the garden sometime too. So sounds like fine for 6? They will be sexed chicks , and all girls.id like my daughter (6) to see them grow.
They will be pets with benefits (eggs).
Once they are getting on I'll think about whether we wait for them to hop off their perches or negotiate introductions. Once they are a bit doddery maybe they won't give newbies such a beating? Anyway that's for much later.
Going to start with 6 chicks.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!! Obviously my daughter too :)
Husband looks more terrified. Neighbours already hate me :)

Hi
I have never had chickens before although I've known a few where I used to work
Thing is I'm torn between starting with three then getting 2-3 more later once I'm more experienced or starting with5-6 as it looks like adding is tricky....
Thanks

Get 7 or 9!

Haha Kiki, I like your thinking .
I think 6 is my max right now, don't want oh to have heart attack :)

Back
Top Bottom