Better way to water... Help!!!

NHchickenflock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Gilmanton NH
So my coop is about 200' from my house. I have 40 laying hens in there with 2 of the 3.5 gal waterers you get at tractor supply....
I am carrying 1 gal jugs of water every night and it's not fun....
I am looking for a higher volume system idea that I could fill maybe once a week....
Any ideas?
I do have power out there but no running water.....

I've never tried it myself, but I don't see why a passive pressure system would be overwhelmed. But I'm sure there are plenty of people using rain barrel set-ups. When I google "rain barrel automatic chicken waterer", I get a ton of hits. Everything from videos to pintrest to survivalist blogs.

Is the pressure in the system too much for the nipples in a 55 gal barrel?
The size of the barrel doesn't matter -it's the height of the top of the water to the height of the nipple that matters - and unless you're talking about putting the barrel on the roof of a nearby building, you're not going to have too much pressure.

My barrel is about 6 feet above the nipples - works fine.

Do you have any pictures CrazyTalk?
Can anything be done for freeze protection?
The size of the barrel doesn't matter -it's the height of the top of the water to the height of the nipple that matters - and unless you're talking about putting the barrel on the roof of a nearby building, you're not going to have too much pressure. 

My barrel is about 6 feet above the nipples - works fine. 

Back
Top Bottom