berkeleysprings

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Berkeleysprings West Virginia
this is a picture of a 11 week old blue copper rooster from bev davis
showing only a feather or two of copper color

20346_mvc00027.jpg

I have a splash pullet a little younger than that right now shows zero copper. I am happy either way, to be honest. If she turns out pure splash, no copper I will use her in my feather legged blue/black/splash breeding pen. I have been using sparing crosses to my copper blacks, but may as well cross in something with no copper to start with, not to mention fantastic feathered feet!

i wish you were closer to virginia because id love to breed him with a splash marans hens"s . the blue rooster was a oops , by mistake because i am working on a wheaten group ... and gathering stock of good dark egg layers for a breeding pen ... and be ready in a few years for the APA
lol

I have been consulting Bev Davis for close to three years now. She has some of the best looking birds I have ever seen. Her birds produce egg color that is awesome. She has also produced some new varieties of Marans. I will not say any more because that is her business and not mine.

The problem with the black coppers is that some of the birds look gold birchen when they are actually extended black and produce a pseudo-birchen phenotype. As PBJ Maker said, males will add red to the pyle zone as they get older. I would not give up on the bird so early.

Tim

I agree Tim. While I haven't spoken to Bev in a while, Bev's has been dedicated to breeding quality Marans for a good while now & probably has the best Marans around.

I have the same thing with some of my Marans. It is known, from the French website, that some of the true ER birds appear black or close to black & then some E birds which have lost some melanisers can appear similar to ER. It takes a bit of sorting out.

(This computer didn't like the photo software; I've been reformatting the hard drive. Cameras & I do not get on.)

well thanks tim , im not giveing up on him i just dont want a breed blues ........ i just want to breed wheatens to the best i can from good stock like bev or buddy henry ... he is a darn perty roo with only a hint of copper showing on one or two feathers but it could all change when he molts it will probubly be years before the the wheatens are in the apa and who knows about the blues .... he came from a almost black egg ..

Man if I was close I would scoop him up in a heart beat - I love blue birds. I might even give you my BCM in trade. He doesn't love me anymore (or maybe he loves me too much)

He is very pretty.

I would love to have him in with my blue and splash bev girls!!!!!!

I have both Ray Valentine and Bev Marans and Bev's Marans are by far the superior in my opinion. I am actually going to sell off all of my Ray Valentine birds because I am not happy with them.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom