Bevs Marans Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by herechickchick, Mar 25, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Well I did it, I got on Bev's list for Black Copper Marans hatching eggs. I am very excited. I do not know at this point when they will arrive but It will be fun hatching them out.

Has anyone else hatched out Marans from Bev and if so what do you think about them as well as dealing with Bev herself (she has been very nice so far.).

Thanks

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    There is a man close to me that has these babies ans eggs for sale I was thinking about getting some are they any different to raise from normal chickens??

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i hatched out blue marans from bev last year. i'm hoping to get another dozen this year to increase the flock.

this is the boy i kept. he has good foot feathering. i also have a splash boy with foot feathering but he's not as big.

[​IMG]

and i have two girls. one is clean legged the other feather legged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this is the eggs they lay. sorry the eggs aren't very clean. and this was right when they started laying. currently, one lays a 3 and the other lays a consistent 4. both lay eggs that are ex-large to jumbo's, nothing less than 2.2 oz. it's been about 3 months now so what they lay should be what i get. i love their eggs and so do my customers. the shells are very hard. the big brown egg next to them is from my cherry egger. she lays nothing less than 2.5 oz.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Very nice! How long did you have to wait??

5. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    it took a good 6-7 months before they started laying. but it seems all my hens (whatever the breed) are slow starters. they laid their first eggs Christmas day. both of them together, go figure. i guess they wanted to give me a present for the long wait. after that, they have been laying very consistently. i get around 8 eggs a week between the two of them sometimes less, sometimes more.

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm sorry, I meant how long did you have to wait to get some of bev's eggs?

7. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    oh, sorry, i ordered them last winter ('06/'07) and got them in may of '07. but this was before she got her 3 page list of people wanting her eggs.

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I do not think so. Just do the same as you would for any other chicks.

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I've been on her list since last year for her Black copper marans and I was on page 10 then. Have no idea when I'll get mine. I did email her and was told she is working on the list but couldn't give a timeline as to when I would get them.

10. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    I have been on her list since last year for wheatons and BCs too. She is very nice to work with and probably has the best reputation of any marans breeder out there. She does an awesome job packing her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by