Beware CPSIA New Law Affects Crafters and Artists Trying to Sell!

"The CPSC exempted wool, cotton, silk, gemstones and pearls in its proposal 6 Janurary."

I know acrylic yarn is not 'wool, cotton or silk' but no one is going after someone who knits gifts or even sells items. A man in our town who sells children's furniture at local craft fairs always has empty cans from any paints he uses set up on one of the shelves with a sign saying "These are the products used in finishing my furniture" People can check the ingredients for themselves etc. These people do not have the time or the manpower to come knocking on your door.

Then sky is NOT falling Henny Penny!

They're working backwards on it I agree, but they're pulling things out that do not apply, because it really IS about all the lead paint and chemicals on things imported from China and other badly managed places. People scream when a product is found with lead paint on it and their child has been playing with it, then they scream when someone tries to prevent it.

Im very confused! Does this apply to selling items only? So that we can make things and give them as gifts or no? And are all natural fibers ok to sell? I was going to start a small business selling natural yarn and craft supplies how am i affected? Should i even start it now? I could only sell to people 18 and older, but that doesn't stop them from using or giving my products to kids. So would i be in trouble then? Help! This is driving me crazy! I was going to start this and sell eggs. I was planing on sell on the web and maybe farmers markets.

Sounds like I can wear my homemade jewelry for 60 seconds, then sell it. It's used after all.
I agree with the folks who say the gooberment won't be pursuing every small time crafter. In fact, I can't imagine them pursuing anyone who doesn't have the bucks to pay a hefty fine. As with most government efforts at protecting us from ourselves, this will eventually be about making money for Uncle Sam. The predictable tragedy here, or boon if you're a lawless heathen like me, is that it will technically make criminals of otherwise law abiding folks. Hopefully it will adjust some of the rules worshiping tendencies we have.

gooberment I like that!

Im starting to breathe again. yeah! I think im gonna start my buisness any way. Im gonna be a lawless heathen too. Im still confused though could someone answer my questions please?

"The CPSC exempted wool, cotton, silk, gemstones and pearls in its proposal 6 Janurary." Does wool mean just sheep or all animal fibers?

And does that mean you can sell things made of them to kids without breaking the law?

Last edited:
roll.png
- big big mess - no brains heading this one up since they're working backwards.

Reminds me of a few years back when here in VA - the "powers that be" decided to ticket all state residents with HEFTY fines for speeding or DUI, DWI - I'm talking double and triple the regular fines - YET let an out of state person come through our state and get the exact same ticket and they walked away with "regular fines".

Why you ask? Because VA needed money to help "fund projects" yet didnt want the people to vetch about raising taxes - so they thought of the "next best thing" -
roll.png

Didnt last very long as most of the speeders that were getting caught were out of state; law was abolished and the "powers that be" had MASSIVE butt kissing to do for that one.

Dumb dumb dumb. Work a law to actually be PROACTIVE - not deduce the livlihood of millions of people; look it over FIRST before enacting the darn thing then going back and saying "Ooops! lets retract this and that and amend the other"

Genius..

Although this law is disturbing, keep in mind that all the products used by a crafter or artist to make their wares will be subject to testing prior to selling it to the public. Of course there will be a gap in timing while such testing occurs, and we can expect prices on these products to rise in accordance to what it costs the manufacturer to have them tested on a regular basis. But all in all, if this law stands as is what we will need to do is assure that the products we purchase to make our crafts has been tested and certified.

This law is VERY far reaching if you think about it. In order for any product to be manufactured and sold, it will now have to be tested. Otherwise how can fabric stores safely sell their fabrics, craft stores sell any of their wares or art stores sell their products. It is quite common for children under 12 to have access to and utilize these products. Therefore, as an artisan or crafter we will need to rely on certification for all elements that are used in our products. For example, if you are making clothing for a child: record and keep the certifications for the material and thread that was purchased & any other materials (although according to the new law even buttons should not be used
hu.gif
a little crazy). When you sell these items make sure the consumer is supplied with certification of all the materials that have gone into making the product. This should suffice unless the elements are chemically altered, then you'll have to do your own testing. Of course this is all based on my reading of this law.

I'm glad my pottery is only decorative...will be a nightmare for potters making functional wares since we DO chemically alter the products
hit.gif

Quote:
This lawless heathen used to be a massage therapist before a) they raised the prices of the licensures I needed to crazy levels without an end in sight, and b) until they got nuts about what I could and couldn't do as a therapist.

It's a well-known sociological axiom - that people who feel helpless to go along with the system will go around it to varying degrees - depending on their tolerance for risk and "other-ness." The powers and corporations who drive laws such as these will also get what's coming to them as a result.

How will this affect me? Im still confused. I am going to be selling natural and organic fiber yarn, soap and candles, dyes. I was also planing on selling supplies. Am I included in this? I was planing on sell mostly on the web and farmer markets and such.

From my understanding (and Alabama logic...) If I want to make wooden toys, I have to by wood, sand paper, and paint from a wholesale or retail store....Since stores are not allowed to sell anything with lead and that other chemical anyway...I should be safe.

Same goes for lewelry. I'd have to buy the beads from the local bead shop, and the string and clasps etc... They can't sell bad stuff, so I should be covered.

I would assume I would need to keep records receipts etc.. that I purchased my raw materials so that if they contain lead it's not my fault...talk to the supplier.

I think what the "Big Guns" are shooting for are places where they make their own plastic, make their own paint, make their own string, forge their own clasps etc... Like Matel, PlayCo, and that chinese company....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom