1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beyond new... still in planning stage

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LynneBR, May 29, 2016.

1. My grandmother in Nebraska used to raise chickens, and I've always wanted to do the same some day. We'll be moving the the SE U.S,. in a few months, to a place with enough land to have chickens... can't wait! In the meantime I'm in the "just-learning" stage... just joined today. Came across this website while looking at mobile coop designs online. Any comments, ideas, advice, warnings, etc. WELCOMED!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! It's great that you are researching before jumping in, like some of us did [​IMG] The Learning Center here is a good place to start:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You'll find info there on things like picking a breed, keeping the flock healthy, feeding, predator control and much more. Enjoy the site!

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us, and I'm afraid I was in the same boat as Sumi when it came to planning (or lack thereof), so good for you!

All the best
    CT

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Planning ahead of time is something I wasn't smart enough to do! Had the hair-brained idea to get chickens, ordered them that night, and suddenly found myself with 22 chicks in a box in hubby's office - in late February - with no coop even designed, let alone built!! By April 1st I had had quite enough of the dust and the noise so I evicted them into an unfinished coop!! Yep, you are smart to plan ahead.

@sumi definitely pointed you in the right direction. I will tell you that as a relative beginner here myself, I sometimes found the information on this site overwhelming and, at times, conflicting. Heat lamps, heating pads, Eco-brooders, food and water in the coop, out of the coop, deep litter method, sand....everyone thinks their way is the best way. That's because it is - for them!! You just go ahead and wade through and then pick and choose what you think will be best for your location, goals, and situation! Common sense is generally your best friend. And if you make a mistake, there's usually no harm done - chickens are pretty forgiving. The sun will still come up the next day and the birdies will still sing, and you'll be one mistake wiser than you were the day before. I think that's why I enjoy having chickens so much - there are very few "rules" but a lot of smart guidelines.

Welcome to BYC, and good luck in your new home!!

2 people like this.
  6. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and WELCOME TO BYC!!

You've come to the perfect place for info on anything fowl related! Definitely check out the learning center that @sumi provided a link for :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blooie always knows the right things to say , and she is right. Welcome to Backyard chickens. I often have to remind myself that everything is NOT a life or death situation and everybody makes mistakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by