BFF's now fighting? What is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sred98, Sep 8, 2008.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My 2 girls (Dark Cornish and OEGB) have been inseparable since the day I brought them home as babies. In fact, the Cornish sleeps with the OEGB tucked under her wing like a baby, and will charge the dog and cat if she feels like they are getting too close. However, while I was outside today, I saw the OEGB stand up tall, fluff out her neck feathers, then bite the Cornish's neck! [​IMG]

Then, after a few What the Heck, "bagaw's" from the Cornish, she puffed up, too. Then, the OEGB acted like she was going to spur her. That made the Cornish jump on the OEGB's back to pin her down. Then the OEGB bit her neck and hung on. Now, the whole time, they are watching me out of the corner of their eyes, and if I turn towards them, they stopped, and acted like nothing was happening. If I stayed sideways and watched out of my side, they would fight.

They are still inseparable. The OEGB freaks out if the Cornish is out of her sight. However, I do not want the Cornish to get hurt. What is causing this and how can I stop it? They don't even fight over food. They are both around 4 months old, but no eggs yet, and I am sure they are both female.

Thanks,

Shelly

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Does anyone have any ideas? They are getting along now. But they were pretty serious earlier. [​IMG]

Shelly

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    LOL, your OEGB is not going to hurt your Cornish girl. Maybe the other way around, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's most likely a pecking order thing now that they are getting older and their hormones are kicking in.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hormonal Teenage girls!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by