Bielefelder Cross Question - Autsexing gene with barred hens?

plumcreek

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Does anyone know if a Bielefelder rooster crossed with other barred breeds would continue to produce autosexing chicks? I have too many roosters and want to know if they could be useful to people with barred hens.

We are located in Austin Texas. Guess I may have to try it out and see what happens.

Autosexing involves the barred gene and the wild-type gene, so it depends what the hen is. It might take several generations of back crossing to get the autosexing back. The only cross that will reliably give autsexing chicks in the first generation is a hen from a breed that is also autosexing, like a rhodebar or legbar.

The genes carried by your roos are not especially rare, a barred rock rooster is just as useful for creating an autosexing line.

I know nothing about genetics. I have crossed Bielefelder roo's over rhodebars and cream legbars. I could tell what sex they were at hatch, once they dried and fluffed out. Black sex links, don't breed true. I crossed Bielefelder roo's over black sex links, I couldn't sex them as chicks. Part came out mostly black. The rest look like barred rocks with some brown around their necks.

I know nothing about genetics. I have crossed Bielefelder roo's over rhodebars and cream legbars. I could tell what sex they were at hatch, once they dried and fluffed out. Black sex links, don't breed true. I crossed Bielefelder roo's over black sex links, I couldn't sex them as chicks. Part came out mostly black. The rest look like barred rocks with some brown around their necks.

How does your Bielefelder x Cream Legbar chicken turn out? Any photos from the cross?

Does anyone know if a Bielefelder rooster crossed with other barred breeds would continue to produce autosexing chicks? I have too many roosters and want to know if they could be useful to people with barred hens.

Barred rocks can be sexed by the size of the head spot . Males have 2 barring genes and a larger head spot . So yes you can sex them . Chick color helps in auto sexing . In Legbar and Bielefelder the males are lighter due to 2 barring genes . Some colors are hard to sex due to light chick color such as lemon cuckoo and Basque .

Here is a picture of a recent auto sexing project hatch . As you can see the light chicks would be hard to sex . These are Easter Eggers .

Back
Top Bottom