Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
I assume you supply food & water in the pen & let her stay in there overnight (or more)?

I was prepping the grow out pen & thought I could use it in the meantime for my broody girl.
Yes, none of my chicken's go without food and water. Yes, you can use the grow out pen, and just clean it out before putting your grow out chick's into it. How long has your hen been broody?

Yes, none of my chicken's go without food and water. Yes, you can use the grow out pen, and just clean it out before putting your grow out chick's into it. How long has your hen been broody?
I've been shoo-ing her out for days but not consistently because it was so windy & cold. Each night though I pulled her out & placed her on the roost.

Right now they're all free ranging (except her- she was in the nestbox). I just put her in the cage & she stepped on the food dish, flipped it & scared herself. Her squawks brought Lucky running to her -- bless his heart.

Attachments

• 20230405_173312.jpg
    20230405_173312.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 8
she stepped on the food dish, flipped it & scared herself.
When I put my broody in a breaker crate, I use the small feeders that you get for chicks, the ones that use a regular mouth canning jar to hold the water or feed. I put the waterer or feeder in a corner, and put a small bungee cord around the jar, and hook it to the bars of the crate.

I've been shoo-ing her out for days but not consistently because it was so windy & cold. Each night though I pulled her out & placed her on the roost.

Right now they're all free ranging (except her- she was in the nestbox). I just put her in the cage & she stepped on the food dish, flipped it & scared herself. Her squawks brought Lucky running to her -- bless his heart.
Since she seems to have been broody for at least several day's now, it's going to take longer then an overnighter in there. I listen to how mine cluck, and when I hear one of the start doing a broody clucking, in she goes into the crate. I don't let her back out until after I haven't heard her doing that sound of clucking for at least a couple of day's.

Yes, these Biel boy's make pretty good rooster's.

When I put my broody in a breaker crate, I use the small feeders that you get for chicks, the ones that use a regular mouth canning jar to hold the water or feed. I put the waterer or feeder in a corner, and put a small bungee cord around the jar, and hook it to the bars of the crate.
Thanks for the idea. I got a jug at the dollar tree and put a spare feeder cup on it and bungeed it to the corner. I remembered I had a bowl with a clamp, so am using that for the pellet feed.
This breaker crate will serve as my grow out pen once my chicks are old enough. So getting this set up has been my trial setup for that.
Since she seems to have been broody for at least several day's now, it's going to take longer then an overnighter in there. I listen to how mine cluck, and when I hear one of the start doing a broody clucking, in she goes into the crate. I don't let her back out until after I haven't heard her doing that sound of clucking for at least a couple of day's.

Yes, these Biel boy's make pretty good rooster's.
I know that clucking sound of which you speak. :thumbsup I let her out briefly yesterday while I was switching the water and feed containers. She went to the nestbox which made it easy for me to catch her and get her back in the breaker crate. Now she can stay in there until she stops that clucking.

Btw, I got that crate for $20 off of craigslist (I'm not using the floor of it). I'm happy with it!

Attachments

• breaker crate lr.jpg
    breaker crate lr.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the idea. I got a jug at the dollar tree and put a spare feeder cup on it and bungeed it to the corner. I remembered I had a bowl with a clamp, so am using that for the pellet feed.
This breaker crate will serve as my grow out pen once my chicks are old enough. So getting this set up has been my trial setup for that.

I know that clucking sound of which you speak. :thumbsup I let her out briefly yesterday while I was switching the water and feed containers. She went to the nestbox which made it easy for me to catch her and get her back in the breaker crate. Now she can stay in there until she stops that clucking.

Btw, I got that crate for $20 off of craigslist (I'm not using the floor of it). I'm happy with it!
Yes, that broody cluck sound is a telltale thing. When you hear it, you know that you have one going broody. It sure help's to be able to stop them right from the start. When she stops the clucking, wait one more day before you let her out.

The only thing that I have been using the floor of my crates for, is for shade if the hotter afternoon sun shines in on that side.

The only thing that I have been using the floor of my crates for, is for shade if the hotter afternoon sun shines in on that side.
Gotcha (on the clucking).

I have the floorpan sitting on top of the cage. When she first was put in the cage, she tried to jump straight up and her whole head went through the bars on the top.😲 That was when I covered it just to keep her from trying to do that.

Gotcha (on the clucking).

I have the floorpan sitting on top of the cage. When she first was put in the cage, she tried to jump straight up and her whole head went through the bars on the top.😲 That was when I covered it just to keep her from trying to do that.
I have some plywood laying on top of mine. It's heavier. Sometimes some of the rest of the flock jumps up on top of it, and I didn't want them moving it or pooping down on top of her.

A picture I took of my Bielefelder's today.

View attachment 3487530
I've been lurking but now I need to jump and shout. It's a miracle!!!
I ordered 12 Bielefelder eggs from Ebay. Shipped eggs are risky, but I did it anyway.
Yesterday they hatched, 9/12, 3 were early quitters. The miracle part:
8 female, 1 male!!! The breeder replied they have been getting many females this year. I'm happy!!! :wee
:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom