Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Today's picture of my sweet biels enjoying a brief semi-sunny spot.
Update - they are 10 weeks old now. My how they've grown! I let them into the cabbage patch so they can route out those little green worms and they did great.

Attachments

• Biel in cabbage.1 20210702.jpg
    Biel in cabbage.1 20210702.jpg
    607.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Bielefelders 10wks 20210702.jpg
    Bielefelders 10wks 20210702.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Biel in cabbage.2 20210702.jpg
    Biel in cabbage.2 20210702.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 27
Biels are at the top of my wish list for duel purpose breed and I would want a broody hen to hatch for sustainability. I'm curious as to how often hens become broody and if they are good mothers? My other thought was to put fertile biel eggs under orpington because they are known to be exceptional mothers. Any thoughts?

Biels are at the top of my wish list for duel purpose breed and I would want a broody hen to hatch for sustainability. I'm curious as to how often hens become broody and if they are good mothers? My other thought was to put fertile biel eggs under orpington because they are known to be exceptional mothers. Any thoughts?
I have not owned many Bieles, but none have gone broody for me. I'm not sure if they are a broody breed.

My best broody (ever) was a bantam Orpington (English). She looked like a Cochin but without the hassle of feathered legs/feet. "Cookie" would go broody 3-5 times per year, would hatch whatever eggs would fit under her, was never "pecky" and was extremely dedicated and watchful of her babies. We never had a rooster her size so she never biologically reproduced, but she raised more chicks than I could count. Her max adoption clutch was about 35-40 chicks. She raised large orpingtons, serama chicks, turkeys, quail, ducklings, and just about every sized chicken in between. She would adopt any size, any number, any age (hatched within 4 weeks of each other), and any species. If it peeped, it was HER baby. Such an amazing little hen.
IMG_9339.JPG

Last edited:
I have not owned many Bieles, but none have gone broody for me. I'm not sure is they are a broody breed.

My best broody (ever) was a bantam Orpington (English). She looked like a Cochin but without the hassle of feathered legs/feet. "Cookie" would go broody 3-5 times per year, would hatch whatever eggs would fit under her, was never "pecky" and was extremely dedicated and watchful of her babies. We never had a rooster her size so she never biologically reproduced, but she raised more chicks than I could count. Her max adoption clutch was about 35-40 chicks. She raised large orpingtons, serama chicks, turkeys, quail, ducklings, and just about every sized chicken in between. She would adopt any size, any number, any age (hatched within 4 weeks of each other), and any species. If it peeped, it was HER baby. Such an amazing little hen.
View attachment 2766515
What a trooper.

Dare2Dream Farms had Bielefelder chicks when I got my first chicks. I was really tempted, but my coop is an Eglu Cube, which is great for ease of cleaning if you're only keeping a few birds. But it's small, and I was worried it would be too big a breed for a small coop. I only have 2 hens right now. For those of you who have experience with this breed, do you think I could add 2 Bielefelders comfortably in that coop? Or even one Bielefelder and another more moderate sized bird? (Currently have a RIR and a Faverolle.)

I have not owned many Bieles, but none have gone broody for me. I'm not sure if they are a broody breed.

View attachment 2766515

Oh, faraday40, I love Cookie! I’ve heard about her before, and think she is amazing…or was??

I guess you could say I’m a cookie lover! LOL

Having said that, I ordered 6 baby Bieli girls from Greenfire Farms. They are due to be sent on Monday. I hope they will be arriving on Tuesday… I’ve cranked up the bathtub brooder: bought puppy pads, completely disinfected the Momma heating pad, and am patiently waiting for the big day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom