Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
I am thinking of Biels as a duel purpose breed. How do they compare to plymouth rocks in weeks to maturity and feed cost?
I haven’t had Plymouth Rocks, but Bielefelders are sloooooow to mature lol. My girl is 27 weeks and hasn’t laid, and that is when Velee’s pullet laid her first egg as she posted above. I like to watch homesteading YouTube channels, and KC Farms really touts how good they are at foraging and how that brings down their feed costs.

I am thinking of Biels as a duel purpose breed. How do they compare to plymouth rocks in weeks to maturity and feed cost?
I'm trying them out for that purpose, as well. From searching around what little info I can find on the forums, I am guessing they'd be at a decent processing size between 20 and 28 weeks. I ordered some from Cackle this year & plan to weigh them at 20, 24, and 28 weeks to see how big they are by then. Generally, processed whole chickens weigh about 75% of their live weigh. Next year, we hope to hatch out our own batch of beils and keep better records on their feed consumption for broiler purposes.

First Bielefelder egg! The other breed of the same age have been laying for weeks before these late bloomers.

Sapphire Gems: 17 weeks and 20 weeks
Rhode Island Reds: 17 weeks and 19 weeks
Easter Egger: 18 weeks
Barred Rocks: 20 weeks
Leghorn: 22 weeks
(seems very late--later than Sapphire Gem, EE, RIR!!)
Blue Laced Red Wyandotte: 24 weeks
BIELEFELDER: 27 weeks

My first Biele egg, on the left, is a sort of taupe/mauve color!
View attachment 2866988
Well, that gives me hope that my two girls that are 25 weeks will get busy soon. Their combs have turned bright red though.

I haven’t had Plymouth Rocks, but Bielefelders are sloooooow to mature lol. My girl is 27 weeks and hasn’t laid, and that is when Velee’s pullet laid her first egg as she posted above. I like to watch homesteading YouTube channels, and KC Farms really touts how good they are at foraging and how that brings down their feed costs.
Yes, I watch KC farms, too. Personally I won't be able to free range much bc of predator load in my area. Just last night my neighbors hunting dogs got into a scrap with a few coyotes. The noise was aweful! Dogs ok tho. So my flock will depend of feed.

I'm trying them out for that purpose, as well. From searching around what little info I can find on the forums, I am guessing they'd be at a decent processing size between 20 and 28 weeks. I ordered some from Cackle this year & plan to weigh them at 20, 24, and 28 weeks to see how big they are by then. Generally, processed whole chickens weigh about 75% of their live weigh. Next year, we hope to hatch out our own batch of beils and keep better records on their feed consumption for broiler purposes.
Good idea. I think I will end up getting a few biels, rocks and orps; make a feed chart to weight like you but start at 16,20,24 weeks and see who comes out on top. Thanks for the advice. 😊

I went to look also. The Crele Bielefelder's are cheaper then the Silver one's.
I can't find any of the crele in the southern part of WV. I'll probably have to buy hatching eggs if I want any of these beautiful chickens! I need a solid color rooster rooster for sex linked chicks or an auto-sexing breed .I have Dominiques so crele works for me.

Back
Top Bottom