Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
We're going to add on to the coop first. I'm hoping that takes place in April so that I can order chicks for May. When we added onto the coop the first time, the build part took one day. I had painted the wood in the days before. We put the metal on the roof a few days later.

The plan is to do the same kind of expansion on the other side of the coop. It's a little different, though, as the access to the nesting boxes is on that side.

After that, we can't really add onto the coop any more and keep the same basic structure. But it'll be big enough for 10 birds, and a couple more if I wanted. I just want to keep it generously sized.

Really (really-really) thinking of get Bielefelders for my flock expansion this spring. Just pullets; I have a rooster and plan to keep him. He's a Chantecler, so any hatching of my own eggs would just be mutts, and that's ok.

I might transition my flock to mostly Biels over a few years. If I get a few pullet chicks this year, I can see how I like them. All the hens and roo I have now are going to live out their lives here, so I'm not looking to do a major switcheroo.
I'll be hatching these Bielefelder shipped egg's when I get them from there, but my Bielefelder flock is also laying fertile egg's right now. I guess I could start selling some of mine locally now.

Only one? I need to help you with the chicken math on them! :gig
I twisted DHs arm with the threat of more egg shortage, and he caved at 5 more chicks (which really means 6, he just doesn’t know it yet!) 😂

Besides my pick (the Bielefelder), DS really wants a Naked Neck & a Cochin, and I ordered a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. Thinking another colored egg layer, waiting to see if the Legbar will become available. And then of course one of the Barred Rocks or Australorps will of course be so friendly and lovable that there is no way we can get rid of her! (That’s the plan, anyway). Another of my family members is taking 5, a SLW, Australorp, EE, OE, and whichever we don’t choose of the Barred Rock or Australorp, we are raising all of them til off heat, and a neighbor is taking the rest of the order once they arrive. That’s some chicken math for ya, especially when DH said 6 MAX at our house last year (we ended up with 10 chicks) :gig I love my husband!

I twisted DHs arm with the threat of more egg shortage, and he caved at 5 more chicks (which really means 6, he just doesn’t know it yet!) 😂

Besides my pick (the Bielefelder), DS really wants a Naked Neck & a Cochin, and I ordered a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte. Thinking another colored egg layer, waiting to see if the Legbar will become available. And then of course one of the Barred Rocks or Australorps will of course be so friendly and lovable that there is no way we can get rid of her! (That’s the plan, anyway). Another of my family members is taking 5, a SLW, Australorp, EE, OE, and whichever we don’t choose of the Barred Rock or Australorp, we are raising all of them til off heat, and a neighbor is taking the rest of the order once they arrive. That’s some chicken math for ya, especially when DH said 6 MAX at our house last year (we ended up with 10 chicks) :gig I love my husband!
Another AZ. member here @CaroleW bought some of the Bielefelder chick's from a hatch that I did a few month's back. She also has Naked Neck's and even a NN/Bielefelder mix. It will be great if she could manage to be able to create an auto sexing naked neck later on after she get's going on them. It may take some time, but I'm rooting for her!

Another AZ. member here @CaroleW bought some of the Bielefelder chick's from a hatch that I did a few month's back. She also has Naked Neck's and even a NN/Bielefelder mix. It will be great if she could manage to be able to create an auto sexing naked neck later on after she get's going on them. It may take some time, but I'm rooting for her!
That would be awesome! Does she have a thread going about it? I would be interested in those a few years down the road!

That would be awesome! Does she have a thread going about it? I would be interested in those a few years down the road!
I don't think that she does yet, as she has been waiting for those chick's to mature enough to start laying egg's. The NN/Bielefelder one is a cockerel from out of a red Naked Neck hen. She has the mother, and I have the Bielefelder dad to that chick.

Really (really-really) thinking of get Bielefelders for my flock expansion this spring. Just pullets; I have a rooster and plan to keep him. He's a Chantecler, so any hatching of my own eggs would just be mutts, and that's ok.

I might transition my flock to mostly Biels over a few years. If I get a few pullet chicks this year, I can see how I like them. All the hens and roo I have now are going to live out their lives here, so I'm not looking to do a major switcheroo.
I hope they work out for you. They really are sweet, quiet birds. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom