Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
Again, I'm really sorry about the losses. It sucks and it sucks not knowing what could be the cause. Personally, for the brooder plate, I can't offer any advice because I've never used one.

What I did last year under the heat lamp was I had a tiny little digital thermometer that stayed in the brooder. A couple of them actually. So the one was getting the surface temp directly under the heat lamp (to make sure it wasn't creeping too high) and then on the cool side to make sure that was at least as low as low 70s / normal room temp. The first week that surface temp was 90-95, but more than 98 in the hot spot and I would have to adjust. Week two, 85-90 etc. Have you used that tub successfully for brooding chicks before?

I agree with you that by observing their behavior you should be able to tell if they are happy with the temps, and most of them have been, which is obviously a good thing.

Good news this morning. All five chicks made it through the night and are looking good.

This is the first time using the tank. I needed something strong, with solid walls to set on sawhorses so I don't have to stoop over to take care of the chicks (arthritis). It's easy to clean, too.

Good news this morning. All five chicks made it through the night and are looking good.

This is the first time using the tank. I needed something strong, with solid walls to set on sawhorses so I don't have to stoop over to take care of the chicks (arthritis). It's easy to clean, too.
Following up on chick status. It was a monumental pain regulating the temperature with the two heat sources so I told my husband to take a hike... and brought the chicks' tank into my office. (He didn't want them in the house because of allergies.) Now the brooder plate alone appears to be adequate and I do prefer it to the heat lamp. I raised one side of the plate so it sits at an angle and the chicks can tuck in at the height each finds most comfortable. They do need to be able to touch the plate for maximum warmth. Love listening to their chirps and trills while I work!

bielefelders.jpg

Following up on chick status. It was a monumental pain regulating the temperature with the two heat sources so I told my husband to take a hike... and brought the chicks' tank into my office. (He didn't want them in the house because of allergies.) Now the brooder plate alone appears to be adequate and I do prefer it to the heat lamp. I raised one side of the plate so it sits at an angle and the chicks can tuck in at the height each finds most comfortable. They do need to be able to touch the plate for maximum warmth. Love listening to their chirps and trills while I work!

View attachment 3517827
I'm glad that you have found something that work's for you!

View attachment 3517827
Looks great! My husband complains about the dust too, and we switched to paper bedding this year, it's been wonderful! Still not 100% dustfree like they claim, but still I think so much better than shavings. Sand is a great bedding material, too.

View attachment 3517827
I keep my brooder in the office too! My Bielee is now 8 weeks and has moved out though. Enjoy them!

Looks great! My husband complains about the dust too, and we switched to paper bedding this year, it's been wonderful! Still not 100% dustfree like they claim, but still I think so much better than shavings. Sand is a great bedding material, too.

Can you share what kind of paper bedding you're using? I'd like to give it a try but looks like I'll have to buy online and there is an endless variety to choose from. Shredded, crinkled, shaved, recycled, brown white, small animal, large animal, very fine shredded and not so fine shredded, even colored! :idunno

Can you share what kind of paper bedding you're using? I'd like to give it a try but looks like I'll have to buy online and there is an endless variety to choose from. Shredded, crinkled, shaved, recycled, brown white, small animal, large animal, very fine shredded and not so fine shredded, even colored! :idunno
I just used puppy pee pad's in my brooder. They absorb any moisture as there is a layer of plastic on the bottom. Easy to clean out, just fold all of it towards the middle, and throw away.

I keep my brooder in the office too! My Bielee is now 8 weeks and has moved out though. Enjoy them!
I see you're in Seattle! Are you familiar with Spring Creek Heritage Farm in Bellingham? They raise Biels (and silver Biels) as well as a few other breeds. If I order chicks again I'd like to find something local so thinking maybe this place. The five days shipping from McMurray was too much!

Back
Top Bottom