Big Black Swedish Drake too rough when mating medium Mallard and Khaki

New life in Christ.

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Hello, I'm new to this site and I have a question. I own Five ducks; three males, and two females. My Black Swedish drake is the dominant one of the group. He has been overactively mating my medium sized Khaki Campbell and my medium sized Mallard. I have seen my other drakes mate with my females before and they were not as violent as when my Swedish mates with them. Should I separate the girls and do I need to worry about the size of the eggs?

Well see, thats the thing. He is so rough with the girls, he does the normal neck biting to stay on top thing, but he bites too hard and makes the girls quack like their in pain. Is it normal for Fuzz (big black swedish drake) to mate each girl 2 and 3 times a day? It's always on land, thank goodness or he would drown them! My other drakes, a Pekin and a Pekin Runner mix have no problems mating the girls in the water and they don't quack in pain the whole time either. When Fuzz has "done his thing", he walks around with his penis hanging out for a few seconds, then it slowly goes away. He is only five months old, is any of this normal.

You should have at least 2 girls per drake. Your ratio is way off. Yes, the drakes will mate several times a day. Some drakes are just really rough and aggressive. They can seriously hurt your girls. The best remedy for non-gentlemanly drake is a roasting pan.

Eat the big meany, and then get some more girls for your nice drakes.

Quote:
ya.gif
:clap

Agreed with the OP. There are way too many males to females in your flock. We have a ratio right now of 5 females and 2 drakes and we are getting rid of one of the drakes. Our girls are being overbred with just two males. When I have only one drake with my girls they might get mated once a day each. I'd recommend separating the drakes until you have the proper ratio or you could end up with some injured ducks.

3 drakes to 2 hens is a bad ratio. Consider eating or giving away two of the drakes for the safety of the hens. It is possible for a larger heavier drake to physically damage the hips or pelvis of a smaller hen. Multiple drakes breeding hens in unison or succession in water can result in the hens drowning.

Back
Top Bottom