BIG egg!

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
My Rhode Island Resort hen has been laying as usual. Got an egg on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...when I got home Thursday night she had laid a mammoth (presumably) double yolker. It weighed 99grams or 3.5 ounces. I didn't think a hen would lay a double yolker the day after laying? Now our girls are a little older I haven't seen one this big in a while...in the past it has only been after a day off from laying. Is this 'normal' ? Thanks :)

A hen can release multiple ovum in 24 hours, they just can't put a shell on them all. If they are released close together they become one big egg. Further apart will get you a normal egg and a shell less egg generally, but there's all sorts of weird stuff a hens body will do sometimes. You can even get eggs within eggs.

Is it normal? It isn't necessarily abnormal. If you had your location listed it would help to tell what season you are in. Weird stuff is seen more as hens are ramping up production in early spring or shutting down in the fall.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...that makes perfect sense! I'm in Australia so the molts are well and truly over and egg lating is at an all time high. Just got home and she has laid again today.

A hen can release multiple ovum in 24 hours, they just can put a shell on them all. If they are released close together they become one big egg. Further apart will get you a normal egg and a shell less egg generally, but there's all sorts of weird stuff a hens body will do sometimes. You can even get eggs within eggs.

Is it normal? It isn't necessarily abnormal. If you had your location listed it would help to tell what season you are in. Weird stuff is seen more as hens are ramping up production in early spring or shutting down in the fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20181019_175656.jpg
    IMG_20181019_175656.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20181019_175754.jpg
    IMG_20181019_175754.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom