Big enough for silkies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pharmchickrnmom, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I am currently planning out my little cottage tractor for some silkies. My daughter wants one for a pet but I figure we will end up with 2-3. The cottage is based off the "Hawaiian Cottage" tractor that another bycer built. I am making it 3x3x21/2. The roof will be peaked and I plan on putting it on a 21/2 foot high base with wheels. I will also be making a run that will move with the tractor. First question: Will it be big enough when they stay in it for the winter? Second: Will they need more than one nest box? Third: What size opening do they need to get through if I make an opening in the floor for them to move down to the run? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I should be big enough for 2 or 3 silkies. the rule of thumb is 4 sq feet per big bird and 3 sq feet per small bird.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They wont even need a nest box. My silkes make a nest in the corner of the coop and they all lay their eggs there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by