Big Girl equine question…

Sherielu

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 5, 2008
Yellville, AR
Big Girl equine question…

Try not to laugh….

Here is the story, I used to own Quarter/Arab horses many years ago and loved riding and caring for them, kids came along and my horse dreams were put on the side.

Fast forward twenty-five years, kids are off living their lives around the world, and my husband and I are talking about getting a horse or mule, maybe even a mammoth donkey in the next few years when we retire to Arkansas.

The problem comes with the extra weight I have put on… Where once I was a 5’10, 170 lb triathlon racing brick-house, now I am a 270lb chair sitting pile-o-bricks!

While I have had every intention to lighten up, the reality is that it probably will not happen.

Do I have to give up my equine dream or will a mule, horse, or mammoth donkey support my size?
roll.png

You can do it!! My husband used to ride all the time, and he weighs around 270. Just get something that's pretty sturdy!! Most quarter horses won't have a problem with your weight, or you could get a small draft type, like a Fjord
lol.png

Go get 'em girl!!

Actually, I have a gelding 15.3 hands that I use. I am not too far off in weight.

He's actually for lease right now or for sale, but I'd hate to see him go...
sad.png
I just don't have the funds to keep up with him right now. College depleted me of moolah.

Here's his photo:
DSCF0058.jpg

If you're not interested, that's fine, but the one thing I made sure to look for was nice thick legs. I didn't want a horse with thin legs. They look more graceful, but well, if the trunks aren't sturdy, the tree will fall.

The general rule of thumb is that a horse can comfortably carry 20% of his body weight. Some can carry more, others less. Depends somewhat on the breed and conformation of a horse. A horse with a more compact frame will be better able to carry more than say a horse with a long back.

How you ride makes a difference. You can consider your balance in the saddle. Think of yourself carrying a backpack. It is easier to carry a backpack balanced on the middle of your back, instead of it off to one side or another. This goes for ANY rider, sitting in balance on your horse makes a difference. A heavy rider sitting in balance on a horse is easier for a horse to carry than a light rider who leans consistantly. So you could be easier to carry for a horse than a kid who weighs 80 lbs.

Shop around for a horse you are comfortable with. You don't neccessarily have to automatically go for a draft or draft mix. If you do, evaluate the draft well. I have owned and worked with some that were unpredictable. They always say that drafts are the gentle giants, but evaluate each horse on an individual basis.

270 pounds is too much weigh for a qh arabian. The rule is that a horse should carry no more than 1/5th his weight. So mulitply your weight by 5 and that's how much the horse would have to weight carry you without damaging its kidneys, internal organs, back and legs. The saddle weighs another 50 pounds so you have to add that in to the amount the horse would be carrying too..Thats like 320 pounds.

So a percheron or some other huge horse weighing in above 1300 some pounds would be a great match for you. A girlfriend of mine just lost 80 pounds on hcg injections and a diet of 500 calories/day. So that is another option.
Good luck

Last edited:
This is good information! I never knew the percentage of body weight a horse could carry.

Does anyone know if a mule or mammoth donkey can carry more or less percent of body weight than a horse?

I can foresee a time when it will be easier to lose some extra weight, but right now, I spend 8-10 hours in front of a computer working, and extra time researching and studying as I am finishing my graduate degree.

In addition, while it certainly sounds like an excuse, after a certain age, it is not as easy to drop weight quickly, while just looking at a cookie causes it calories to enter my body!

My dear husband suggested the horse and I taking turns carrying one another….
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom