Big Hens and Roosters in the same enclosure as Bantam Hen and Roosters

Lots A Cluckin

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
I currently have 47 chicks from ages 12 weeks to 3 weeks...we have 29 LF (Large Fowl) chickens out of those 29 5 are straight run and out of those five straight run right now (they are only 3 weeks old) we see 2 roosters...and we have 18 bantams out of those 18, 2 are roosters and 4 are 3 week old straight run silkies. Right now the 3 week old's are in brooder boxes and in 2 weeks they will be in a grow out pen until they are big enough to go with the 12 week old's and when they are big enough all of the chickens will be in one coop and run...we are planing on getting a LF Barred Rock Rooster in a couple of weeks and we would put him with the 3 week old's because he is around the same age as them...finally I can get to my question LOL....When they get the reproducing age would the LF Barred Rock Rooster hurt my bantam hens? We have plenty of LF hens for him..so I am hoping that we would just kind of ignore the bantam hens
idunno.gif
of course we would not hatch the eggs if he did take a liking to the bantam hens, but would he hurt them because he is so heavy I think Barred rock rooster mature to around 9 1/2 lbs. and bantams are 2 lbs or less. Do you have a mixed flock like mine...have you have ever had any problems with LF roos and bantam hens together?
Any opinions are appreciated.
smile.png

Last edited:
A neighbor's tiny old english hen decided to join my flock last year...she was the size of a pigeon. My New Hampshire Red rooster Rusty made a couple of advances---she ran screaming the other way! My birds are free range--I have 4 acres fairly open ground, with woods and creek, lots of trees--there was no way for an aggressive rooster to corner her (Rusty was ever the gentleman, never pushed the issue with her...and had several ladies more his size).

I'm not sure I'd put them in a closed run unless there was a way for the bantams to evade the LF roo. (A couple tunnels, maybe, made of 2x10' wire fencing arched and held in place with cheap tent stakes?)

I'm in a similar situation to you bird-wise right now. I lost Rusty to a redtail, and some of the girls to a day-stalking coyote. Picked up some chicks this spring--big columbian rocks, easter eggers, and bantams. I'll be butchering the CR roosters, keeping the one EE roo, and 1 or 2 of the tiny bantam roosters.

Thank you...anybody else ever had bantam hens and big roosters together?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom