big hens hurting babies

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
i put some 5 week old chicks in with some 18 week old pullets and the big ones were pecking the tar out of the little ones is that normal. they wouldnt leave them alone. how long do i have to wait to put them in with the big pullets

Yes, that's normal. Generally you do not put younger chicks in with older chicks until they are the same size.

Sometimes people are able to do it sooner with no damage but you really have to watch closely and be ready to pull the little ones out if they are being beat up... like yours.

Get them out!!!!!!!! 18 week olds are large enough to kill 5 weeks olds! You should at least wait until the 5 week olds are as big as the 18 week olds! And you don't want to introduce them directly! Make it so that the 18 week olds can see the 5 week olds but CAN NOT get to them.

ok well i guess its gonna be a long time before i can introduce them again or untill they are big enough to run and keep out of the way

I agree with the other posts. Your big ones will pick on the little one until they kill them. They have to be separated until they are about the same size. When you do re-introduce them, they will start the pecking again as this is normal behavior while establishing their pecking order. I think the post about putting the younger ones in a pet carrier or some kind of enclosure is a very good idea. I have a wire brooder I put it in the run with the big girls to let them kind of get used to the younger ones when they are about a month old. When they are about 4 months old I put them in with the big girls and they still chase them around and peck at them. If they seem to be too agressive, I take them out a bit longer. When I do put them in together I watch closely.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom