Big little chicken

NY Chickenista

Hatching
6 Years
May 13, 2013
My RIR is a nervous girl who is afraid of everything. Lately, when I enter the coop she runs away scared for, no reason, and now I am finding all my girls copy her are run away too; even my silkie. What can I do to calm her down?

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

I hand feed my chickens treats. Usually when I walk outside they all come running to me. I do have one hen that doesnt like when I wear anything bright red. She runs from me flapping wings and screaming. No clue why, just something she doesnt like I suppose.

Good luck to you

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I find that if you are carrying a treat, they will learn to come a runnin' when they see you - my birds would kill for BREAD or anything that comes in a plastic bag that might be BREAD

Thank you for the responses. I do give them their treats by hand, but the RIR (Daphne) is always the one to grab a quick mouthful and run to the back of the coop. They all beg for the treats but Daphne seems nervous taking hers. I feel bad for her being that nervous. Sometime's I will put treats in the back of the coop for her and then give the others their treats up front so she can eat and relax.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Treats, patience and time spent with your hen should help you win her trust. I recently rescued a hen who was so scared of humans, she about had a stroke every time I went near her. Over the past few weeks I've been spending a time with her through the day, every day, just talking to her and feeding her and bringing her treats. I slowly moved in by stroking her and holding her just a little bit now and then, but I didn't overdo it. I took my time and tried to reassure her as much as I can. She slowly started responding and talking back and calming down around me. 4 Days ago I went to close her up for the night and she walked up to me, talking, so I slowly dropped to my hunches and waited to see what she wanted. She walked right up to me, paused, and to my amazement jumped on my lap. Time, lots of love, patience and treats goes a long way!

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with sumi- she will come around someday just don't force it. You might want to pull up a chair and watch the birds in their run. If you sit still and don't grab at her she may
become adjusted to your presence especially if the others start climbing into your lap.

My chickens (whom we have had for only five weeks) all eat happily from my hand but run away if I try to pick the up or stroke them. However, if I raise my hand to one of them she squats down in a submissive pose with her wings raised and let's me stroke her for a short time. I don't know why she does that. Is it fear or because she likes being stroked?

Back
Top Bottom