Big metal shed to chicken coop...?

Looks really pretty!

But I'm a little concerned about that plywood that's making a sort of inner-roof: I expect the chickens will try to fly up to sit on the edge of it, and walk around on top of it. So then they will be pooping on top of it, and you'll have no way to clean up there. They probably won't get stuck up there, but any chicken that has a problem might hide up there where you cannot easily see or reach them. Also, hens might try to lay eggs up there.

(It might be fine. I'm just saying what I'm thinking, so you can keep an eye out and see whether it happens.)

I'm sure the chickens and cats could get used to each other, especially if they are in separate sections.

If you are going to shut the cats in at night, do make sure they have a litterbox, water dish, and food. (It's probably obvious, but I'm saying it because if you're used to outdoor cats, you may not be in the habit of considering litterbox/bathroom needs.)
Looks like they have netting where the two plywood meet.

Some of our chickens hang out with the neighbor's kittens. They seem to get along just fine. My neighbor took this on their front porch, lol.
image0.jpeg

Looks really pretty!

But I'm a little concerned about that plywood that's making a sort of inner-roof: I expect the chickens will try to fly up to sit on the edge of it, and walk around on top of it. So then they will be pooping on top of it, and you'll have no way to clean up there. They probably won't get stuck up there, but any chicken that has a problem might hide up there where you cannot easily see or reach them. Also, hens might try to lay eggs up there.

(It might be fine. I'm just saying what I'm thinking, so you can keep an eye out and see whether it happens.)

I'm sure the chickens and cats could get used to each other, especially if they are in separate sections.

If you are going to shut the cats in at night, do make sure they have a litterbox, water dish, and food. (It's probably obvious, but I'm saying it because if you're used to outdoor cats, you may not be in the habit of considering litterbox/bathroom needs.)
Thanks! I have netting between the plywood pieces so no chickens can get up there. I definitely thought they would try and roost up there if they could.

As for the kittens, we just got them about a week and a half ago and they have been sleeping in the garage every night with food, water, litterbox and a little cozy house with a blanket. So I would definitely move all that stuff into the shed side if I put them in there for the night. It would be nice because then my dog wouldn't be able to dump the litterbox looking for "treats" every morning and making a mess if the garage!!

What do people think of letting my kittens sleep on the one side at night?
I think if you can make that work, it’s an excellent idea.

We used to have outdoor cats, and I used to wish they had access to the coop at night to hunt for mice. (Our cats free ranged 24/7.) But of course, to exclude predators, you have to exclude cats as well. But for kittens that will be locked up at night anyway, that sounds like a great solution.

We had brother cats from a litter in 2009. One lived to be 10.5 and the other to 11.5. They were basically garage cats, and my husband always hated that they walked on his car, sometimes scratched it, and often vomited on it! :sick So I agreed not to replace them once they were gone.:( If I could find a way to have chicken coop cats that didn’t ever go in the garage, I would definitely do it! I miss my kitties. 🙇‍♀️

I think if you can make that work, it’s an excellent idea.

We used to have outdoor cats, and I used to wish they had access to the coop at night to hunt for mice. (Our cats free ranged 24/7.) But of course, to exclude predators, you have to exclude cats as well. But for kittens that will be locked up at night anyway, that sounds like a great solution.

We had brother cats from a litter in 2009. One lived to be 10.5 and the other to 11.5. They were basically garage cats, and my husband always hated that they walked on his car, sometimes scratched it, and often vomited on it! :sick So I agreed not to replace them once they were gone.:( If I could find a way to have chicken coop cats that didn’t ever go in the garage, I would definitely do it! I miss my kitties. 🙇‍♀️
So far it's been a few nights and the kittens and chickens don't seem to mind each other. Since they're separated by chicken wire and a screen door it works, at least until the cats are big enough they scratch the screen door up... But I can always hardware cloth or chicken wire that too. My only problem now is what to do with the kittens during the day, lately they've been hanging out mostly under the deck (which means it's full of cat pee and poop under there 🤢) but my large puppy (almost 6 month old German Shepherd/border collie) really likes to chase them... So it's a fun new adjustment period for everyone involved! Lol

So far it's been a few nights and the kittens and chickens don't seem to mind each other. Since they're separated by chicken wire and a screen door it works, at least until the cats are big enough they scratch the screen door up... But I can always hardware cloth or chicken wire that too. My only problem now is what to do with the kittens during the day, lately they've been hanging out mostly under the deck (which means it's full of cat pee and poop under there 🤢) but my large puppy (almost 6 month old German Shepherd/border collie) really likes to chase them... So it's a fun new adjustment period for everyone involved! Lol
Well, they have to go potty somewhere. Maybe you could block off under the deck and give them an “outdoor litter box” area in a spot where you won’t notice the smell too much. Our cats always went in the grass, or in the flower beds. I think that because their mother raised them on one of our porches, she taught them to go potty somewhere away from there. Would it be possible to keep the door to their night time quarters open so they could use that litter box during the day? Or maybe they will figure out not to pee under the deck if it’s their favorite lounging spot. 🤷🏼‍♀️

One thing that will help, is to get them neutered (if they are male) at a young age. Mine never sprayed, and I’m sure it’s because they got fixed before their hormones kicked in. They would make the spraying motion, but nothing ever came out, thank goodness!!

Well, they have to go potty somewhere. Maybe you could block off under the deck and give them an “outdoor litter box” area in a spot where you won’t notice the smell too much. Our cats always went in the grass, or in the flower beds. I think that because their mother raised them on one of our porches, she taught them to go potty somewhere away from there. Would it be possible to keep the door to their night time quarters open so they could use that litter box during the day? Or maybe they will figure out not to pee under the deck if it’s their favorite lounging spot. 🤷🏼‍♀️

One thing that will help, is to get them neutered (if they are male) at a young age. Mine never sprayed, and I’m sure it’s because they got fixed before their hormones kicked in. They would make the spraying motion, but nothing ever came out, thank goodness!!
I did end up leaving the door to their nighttime spot open a little ways today, I'm just worried the dog will figure out she can push open the sliding door with her head if she tries hard enough. She would go in there and eat all their food and poop and terrorize the chickens in their safe space. Maybe they'll need a cat door eventually or something. Or they'll just get bigger and be able to fend for themselves a little more and the dog won't bother them (hopefully!)

Back
Top Bottom