Big Problem with Bullying

Omelette

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
After losing 2/3 of my hens, I felt that the one remaining hen needed company.

So...I got 2 hens about the same age - one Americana and one Red Sexlink. I also got a cute Buff Orpington, which is not yet laying.

The problem is that my original hen, also a Red Sexlink, has become a major bully. To the point that the Americana is bleeding from the back of the neck. She's also caused the little Buff Orpington to bleed.

When she was part of my previous group of 3, she was the bottom of the pecking order. Now, she has become vicious.

I only have one coop, so it is hard to separate them. Right now they are free ranging, so they could escape the bully. But when I go out I like them to be in their coop.

I tried a product called Stop-Pick. It has a strong smokey smell, and is supposed to be offensive to poultry. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Take her out of the main pen, (time out) for a few days. Leave the bullied hens in and give them time to heal. Put the bullier back in and the pecking order will change.

I've been taking her out during the day, but obviously that's not enough.

I will try to take her out for a few days and will fashion a temporary laying nest for her.

If she wasn't such a great producer ...

Hi,
just lurking here to see how your bullied hens do. I agree taking the bully out of the run sounds like a good way to give those poor girls a break. I have a poor Ameraucana that has no tail as a result of being lowest in the peck order. I'm about to go buy some of that Anti-Pick Stuff. Take a look a this girl (I call her "Pick-Pick") she literally has no tail! Anytime she scurries by another hen, they take the opportunity to get another jab at her backside.

7259_august_140.jpg

POOR "PICK-PICK"

I had a very slight problem with my littlest hen getting pecked at. I applied pine tar and the problem was solved almost overnight.
I've never applied the pine tar again, but apparently the peckers don't wanna take a chance on tasting that nasty stuff again.

Quote:
You can find it at tractor supply stores, farmer's co-ops, Atwoods, etc. You will most likely find it in the equine (horse) section, since it's primary use is on horse's hooves. Comes in a can similiar to a paint can. It will likely will say something on the label about "not for internal consumption", but do a search for 'pine tar' here on BYC and you will see, as I did, that a good many people have used it for pecking with success and no problems with consumption. I don't think the chickens actually ingest any of it anyhow. It's more like HOW DO I GET THIS STUFF OFF MY BEAK AND QUICK!!
The biggest problem you'll have with it is applying it. It's the stickest stuff I've ever seen. If you can get ahold of some wooden tongue depressors or even popsicle sticks, that's a good way to apply it. Works better than anything else I've seen for pecking.

Poor Americana! They must be a gentle breed to be getting the brunt of the bullying.

I've separated my bully for the night and will remove her for a few days.

I will report back.

Ooooh- never heard of using pine tar! We have lots of pines on our property- maybe I could collect some!! But, I will try the feed and hardware stores too. Anything to save my poor hens' bum!

Back
Top Bottom