big question here need some advice updated

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by siamshirl, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siamshirl

siamshirl Cooped Up

Jul 18, 2007
    tupelo mississippi
    i have 73 chicks i just ordered from welp hatchery and they where
    brown leg horns
    wyandottes
    golden pheonixs
    rhode island reds
    araucanas
    partridge cochins
    gold laced polish
    silver laced polish
    buff laced polish
    white blue and black silkies and some mille flures
    and is it possible to raise that many diverse breeds im just worried i got in over my head i have a pretty good amount of space in my yard and i have a good amount of coop space and am working on more what are the most problems im going to have and i have a question if all the males grow up together will they be nice to each other or will they kill each other should i create seperte pens for the males or should i create seperate pens for each different breed i kinda thought i would have a huge chicken house and just keep the males in indavidule spaces in it and let all the females runn the yard but is that something i should do or will all the males kill each other

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    yeah of course! they'll be fine. all my chickens are a different breed. 73 chicks is a lot!!!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They should be fine as long as you have a good ratio of girls to boys. About 1:10 or so. Any more and they might fight and the lower hens will get beat up feather wise. They will fight a bit until pecking order is established, and once that is done, you'll only have the occassional scuffle. Just keep your eyes on them.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

73, thats an interesting amount to order [​IMG]
    I'm sure they will do just fine, good luck!

5. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Wow,your like that Purdue guy........lol,good luck and if ya need any useless advice just ask,lol.

6. siamshirl

siamshirl Cooped Up

Jul 18, 2007
    tupelo mississippi
    see i didnt intend on 73 i only orderd 44 they sent 73 as extras like i got some wc polish and stuff i didnt even order

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    why? that isnt right... they might've sent you roos as warmers.

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    73, Whew!! You can always bring me the extras you don't want, as long as they are not roos, ha ha!!!

Marie
    Grenada, MS

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    they will do fine. and unless you get more then they might start pecking. I have three different breeds and they get along fine exept for the fact that I just put my chicks with the older hens and then they started to peck at the little ones. So if youyou start adding to many chicken they start getting verry stressed. but sence you got the chicks at a day old they should learn to love each other and maybe if your chickens are used to being with other chickens the hens may huddle your futer new baby chicks

[​IMG]

10. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    You wouldn't think with 43 ordered, they'd have to send any warmers. That's why I like My Pet Chicken. Usually no extras sent for warmth, but if they do, only a breed and sex you already ordered. Not practical for many though, because the prices can be high, esp. shipping. But I couldn't take a chance on getting roos. Also wanted just a few of many different breeds. Mine are strictly pets, so I could be a little impractical about cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by