Big Roo little hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Sep 25, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    So in my chicken area there are silki hens and roo and an sea bright hen and an Rhode Island Red Roo named Funkey. I think the Roos made an deal that The silkies can be with the silki roo and Funkey wanted the Seabright. I was out there an little while ago and I think that Funkey tried to mate with Sebe. [​IMG] Funkey Is Huge and sebe can sit eaisly in my hand. Do I need to get rid of him:/? This is the first time I have sceen him do this to her. Is there a way to keep him ?[​IMG] He is the only standred sized chicken. Do Chickens have an breeding season? [​IMG] please Help

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    put him with some biger hens the silkie roo would be fine but funkey to big

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken breeding season is year round. RIR rooster attempting to breed a sebright hen is a recipe for disaster - injury or death to the hen.

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I don't have any standred sized hens [​IMG] Guess we will have to get rid of him is there any other choice?? [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Get yourself another coop/run and have large fowl on one side, bantams on the other?

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thats an good idea, but the thing is my chicken "coop" right now is only an childs play house with an pearch and nest box. [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

N.C chicken Owner :

Thats an good idea, but the thing is my chicken "coop" right now is only an childs play house with an pearch and nest box. [​IMG]

I agree with sourland. The tiny bantam hens will be crushed but the larger bantam hens can handle a regular sized roo (not oversized).​

8. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Sounds like a coop build and chicken math in your future!!!

9. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    So funkey would be ok with just the silkies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by