Big rooster mating little silky

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marymac, Feb 4, 2011.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a 5 mth EE rooster who has now decided he is top roo. he was getting along fine with the silky roo but now I had to separate them as he had the silky pinned down and pecking him. My question is, he is also mating with my 2 silkys. They act like they don't like him and squak a lot when he tries to mate. I am afraid he may be hurting them due to his size. Do any of you let a big roo mate with your silkys and if so how do they react?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A large rooster can certainly injure a small hen, yes. I've seen so many leg/hip injuries on BYC that probably stem from that very thing.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although some claim to have no problems with such a situation, whenever a much larger rooster breeds a smaller hen there is the potential for permanent injury.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I have some huge 1/2 imported english orps and I have had to put the roos up for that reason........
    Yes, They hurt them......
    I have 4 8 month old roo's.............going for sale soon..and I heard a hen yelling loudly.
    When I went o investigate..........three of hose roos were on her holding her down.......
    That was the end of thier free range.
    Good luck and find a way to protect your little girls [​IMG]

5. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks for the input, I plan on doing something tomorrow. I would hate to loose my little girls because of the roo.

6. BerryJohnNWA

BerryJohnNWA New Egg

Jan 21, 2012
    I have a big Aracona and it is always chasing my smallest youngest little Bantam. It sqawks and squeals. He holds her down and I suppose is trying to rape her. I have always saved her. I have her in a small cage tonight sequestered. I'll get the big Aracona into a seperate coop tomorrow.
    He is too violent. I have some nice roosters, the violent ones I get rid of.

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have just the opposite problem! I have a D'Uccle roo with about 22 hens and his son, a juvie EE. My little guy tries so hard to keep his ladies in line, but there's just too many! And they're so much bigger than him! He does a great job, nonetheless and I have lots of fertile eggs. Im hoping to keep his son to have a bit bigger of a roo to get my bigger girls. As it is now, Feisty sticks with my Silkies, bantams and docile EEs.
    , tho he's been trying for mon ths now to dominate my matriarch, a Black Austrolorpe that rules the roost with her posse of the origin al 5. Feisty can't get to ANY of them (1 brown leghorn, 2 wyandottes, the austrolorpe and an EE) "Junior" might be big enough to "break on through to the other side," but we will see how long the dh permits 2 roos..... probably wont be long before I have to make a decision.... 1 roo was "pushing the envelope" as it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by