Big run and coop build

@ZephyrCoveFarms
Like Aart says, it would be great to make an article of you're coop.
I wonder how you will connect the coop with the run. And wonder if you made enough ventilation In the coop for warm nights. So many chickens produce a lot of heat.
I will look into making an article. Time!!

I post this on #14 and will add that I will have two openings for chickens to enter and exit. I plan on removing the bottom run of wire as wide as the coop and making the run terminate at the coop on both sides and add a metal roof “porch” between the coop and the run.

“This is a shaded area that stays out of direct sun. I’m running hardware cloth the full length across the bottom wall below the nest boxes with hinged plywood inside to shut in winter. The top of walls is open about 3” so there will be plenty of ventilation. I am installing hardware cloth for soffit to keep critters out.”

Wait until you're all done with coop and have used it for 6 months, then you can include any changes made after using it for awhile(there's always something)

Love that door, creative.
I am a big believer in over building if you haven’t noticed. That door is all bracing! You should see the barrel bolt I’m putting on it.
I still have to add the hurricane straps between the rafters and top plate then four anchors cemented on each corner to keep these crazy Texas hurricanes from blowing it around. We had 8-10 hours of 120 plus MPH winds during hurricane Harvey a few years ago.

We had a category 1 hurricane make landfall a couple hundred miles south of here so I made a quick roof for the girls to get under during the three days of rain we had coming. I put a few cedar posts under it for them to perch on and be dry.
I painted the front wall and framed up a porch that covers the two entrance and exits into the coop and gives the ladies some more shade and shelter if they want it. They LOVE IT! I removed the bottom run of hardware cloth and used it on the inside bottom wall below the nest boxes. I put 3/4” treated plywood louvers on the outside withtop hinged and barrel bolts on the bottom. I will leave these halfway open most of the year for ventilation and close them in the coldest weeks and during hurricanes.
I got the nest box doors finished and will start on the metal for the nest box roof next days off. I also got the barrel bolt and heavy duty closure spring installed on the main coop human door.
20927F19-AF01-48BC-A954-5303A2C388D8.jpeg
7D20C2AF-9941-472F-82F0-32E224F23BEB.jpeg
EAF85646-EFAA-4E08-9337-2C4355F271AA.jpeg
CF30774B-FFAE-4005-B3E0-18BF9A1014E0.jpeg
DFCF9690-CF2C-424C-9371-4FF20C644301.jpeg
FB6C9877-A7F1-4C0C-8D40-961C9823B603.jpeg
903D9A74-749D-4BE0-A795-93C33FC0ECCB.jpeg
7652491D-75D6-4736-B3FB-6F4198B65408.jpeg
394BEA1B-00CA-408F-B224-7E77943F9CA3.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like the build quality you have there. Even under shade I couldn't stand being in my own coop until I worked in more ventilation. Mine run 50% or so of hardware cloth and exterior paint to protect the wood long term.

I suspect you aren't going to like how you set in your footings either It is all setting on pavers on 2x4's and not anchored to the ground. The easiest fix might be trailer anchors with steel strapping. I use 4x4's set in 18-24 inches and 80-120 pounds of poured concrete footings for mine to keep em on my property. I would hate to see it get blown away in one of our South Texas storms. Some of those low hanging branches may also present a real issue during a hurricane. I did suffer some minor roof damage to my most recent coup due to Hanna's winds, but have been meaning to rework that roof anyway. As it stands the next direct hit from anything over Cat2 is going to take my roof.

Incredible workmanship you have there.

Back
Top Bottom