Big storm coming, Help me to see if I'm missing any Winterization steps for the coop

So simple. Thank you.

And you all will be happy to know I resisted the urge to make little leg warmers for my flock.
yuckyuck.gif
I'm right there with you. I am going to repurpose empty feedbags around the area (folded as necessary to fit, stapled and temporary through winter) directly under my raised coop (that area is like yours). They seem to like to hang out there in cold weather during the day (I think because they can cuddle), and it will block wind. Chickens are smart about this, I think!

The floor opening you have, you could perhaps retrofit a sliding closure, like a horizontal pop door so you can thereby manage ventilation?

Otherwise, I agree with what other wiser and more experienced members are saying!

Last edited:
The floor opening you have, you could perhaps retrofit a sliding closure, like a horizontal pop door so you can thereby manage ventilation?

Oooooh! I totally LOVE this idea. And, for now, I can use an old feedbag to put directly under the girls to keep out draft.

I am probably at your same latitude so experiences very much with weather your will be having. This front will be tough on the birds but needed to get acclimated to conditions coming later. I would leave one of the window open so you have good air exchange. The draft business so many are concerned with will not be an issue this week. Let the wind ruffle their feathers a little bit. The use of fresh straw is good idea. I would even use a little hay. Looks good on water supply.

I am not a fan of Vaseline or the like on extremities not covered by feathers. Putting additional clothing on will likely compromise their ability to thermoregulate if already in good feather. Take off the devices not native to the birds.

My birds are all maintained under conditions that would he characterized by most as drafty. Some roost with no protection from wind whatsoever. The exposed birds do not lay when it gets really cold but those with good direct wind protection can stay in lay until temperatures drop below zero F.

What you may see is birds want to be in run much of the day even when it is really cold. Put some hay in run so they can settle on that when loafing. That will provide comfortable options when they move back and forth from coop to run. Also consider spicing up their lives with different foods that are course and nutrient dense such as BOSS and whole grains like shelled corn, Make certain the still consume usual amounts of complete formulated feed mixture.

hey there, was perusing again and saw your question:

9. NO IDEA if I put a board on the floor to cover entrance/ exit hole during the worst part of storm This would completely close chickens into coop without food or water but would protect them from elements.

OK. Chickens must have access to water at all times. It's the LAW.
tongue.png
So what I did was take a four gallon square bucket (think cat litter) with a lid. I put horizontal nipples in it and right now it has a stock tank 250 watt heater in it (on the bottom of the bucket) that acts like your thermocube. It is IN the coop. They dont like it a lot, they prefer open water, but it IS available if I have to completely close them in or if I leave for a day or two. I put it in an unused nesting box so it is out of the way. Heater is plugged in and working well. whole setup couldn't be simpler, There is a lid on bucket (with a hole for heater cord) that reduces excess humidity in the coop. Not maybe ideal, but IT WORKS!

Also you can throw some scratch down or put it in a bowl just before bedtime. That fills their crops and helps (they say) keep them warmer overnight. That way they are not without something in their crops overnight. Then i close them up. This I do if it is going to get in the teens or below overnight.

Morning: When I get up, some warm fermented feed and warm water.

I am going through similar to what you are...first chicken winter. They are doing much better than I had hoped, so far, fingers crossed. I completely close them in when temps will be below zero. Like tonight! For the first time! Venting is through eaves and some gable vents I put in. Warm air rises so it will go out the venting which is above roost level. Keeping an eye on internal coop temp as outside is dropping rapidly at the moment, I put a remote thermometer in there so I could assess exactly what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
In Kansas here too, but you are going FAR beyond what my flock has for winterizing. I have windows closed up on the north side, but all others are open for ventilation. That pretty much covers It! Haha...

Writing from even COLDER Nebraska. LOOSE THE HEAT LAMP! They don't need it. I agree with everyone that said that they need ventilation and not a draft and they'll be fine. Make sure their water stays liquid and that they get some scratch and cracked corn about an hour before they go to bed.

I'd even skip the Vaseline. If they have enough ventilation, the moisture won't build up and freeze on them. Vaseline is messy and it's value is negligible anyway.

Good luck. (Mine were out playing in 20' and stomping around in 5 inches of snow on Sunday, goofing off.)

I live in rural Nebraska, and there is nowhere - including Kansas and "windy city" Chicago - with stronger average winds. I just want to reinforce what others have said. Don't heat this coop. It's small and chickens create their own heat. They have to acclimate to your weather conditions. If they don't, they'll suffer. I would be more worried about proper ventilation. If you find condensation inside the walls of your coop, this will cause frostbite. Beware of humidity/moisture, not cold.

HOWEVER, if you have breeds that are not cold hardy, like Silkies, they might need heat in sub-zero cold. I've heard of Silkies dying in harsh weather. I specifically bought cold-hardy breeds for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom