"Big" veins - day 15

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Today when candleing, I saw, near the air sac, a big vein. First I though its a blood ribg but then I saw movement in the eggs.
It was weird because all the veins I saw so far were pretty "thin", but this one was thicker...
Hope its fine?

Today when candleing, I saw, near the air sac, a big vein. First I though its a blood ribg but then I saw movement in the eggs.
It was weird because all the veins I saw so far were pretty "thin", but this one was thicker...
Hope its fine?
Yeah, that is just a much more important vein! Just keep and eye out when candling! What type of poultry are you hatching? Larger veins are some of the main ways that chicks get good amounts of oxygen!

Yeah, that is just a much more important vein! Just keep and eye out when candling! What type of poultry are you hatching? Larger veins are some of the main ways that chicks get good amounts of oxygen!
Thank you! These are serama eggs. They are under a broody. Today when she went for her break, I took two eggs home to candle.
By the way, is taking the eggs from the nest into the house to candle causing any harm to the eggs? Needless to say I was extremely careful and put them back in a minute

Thank you! These are serama eggs. They are under a broody. Today when she went for her break, I took two eggs home to candle.
By the way, is taking the eggs from the nest into the house to candle causing any harm to the eggs? Needless to say I was extremely careful and put them back in a minute
You're welcome! It should be okay. But it's important to mark the eggs so you can always put back in the same position they were in when you took them. I'd also be more concerned about them getting cold being taken away from the nest. When a broody hen gets up. The nest and the material in the nest is keeping them warm, but when you are walking around with it, the egg gets colder. I hope that the eggs hatch well! My only broody for the year got attacked and only two if her seven eggs made it! She is still broody however I'm afraid she might be attacked again! How your broody stays safe! I love Serama chickens!

You're welcome! It should be okay. But it's important to mark the eggs so you can always put back in the same position they were in when you took them. I'd also be more concerned about them getting cold being taken away from the nest. When a broody hen gets up. The nest and the material in the nest is keeping them warm, but when you are walking around with it, the egg gets colder. I hope that the eggs hatch well! My only broody for the year got attacked and only two if her seven eggs made it! She is still broody however I'm afraid she might be attacked again! How your broody stays safe! I love Serama chickens!
Oh.. well I didn't mark them... do you think I damaged something? I was very careful and put them back after a minute, while on my way home/back to the nest I wrapped them with my hand...

Back
Top Bottom