Bigger chicks really picking on the little ones

Squeak32821

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
Hey everyone, I got 8 little chicks a while ago and we got a few leghorns and a couple other breeds as well. Two of the leghorns are much much bigger than all the others leading me to think maybe they're roosters. While those two boys don't pick on their own little guys they do pick on all the others. I'm very very heart broken over the fact that I found my little silkie chick had died a day or two ago and have just now been able to get onto this forum and not cry 😅 I know its silly but I sure did just fall head over heels for the little silkie. Anyway, those two leghorns tend to charge the other birds and trample the little ones that get in the way. I'm worried that they might kill another chick and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've heard to separate the bully and keep the rest together then reintroduce them again after some time has passed and that might help. However I learned that with hens and as I think those leghorns are roosters I'm not sure what to do.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, what you likely have going on is breed temperament incompatibility. Leghorns generally have extremely aggressive temperaments, and it's best to keep a flock limited to just that breed if you want to keep Leghorns. Leghorn roos can be a hand full.

Silkies are the exact opposite of that coin. They do best in a flock of bantams or just Silkies. Putting them with standard breeds is not going to end well most of the time as Silkies are simply too timid to hold their own with chickens larger than they are.

When you have baby chicks, generally, size doesn't begin to be an issue until chicks grow older than four weeks. Up until that age, chicks are usually accepting of other chicks older or younger. Beyond that and the pecking order can kick in.

So, now you know, you need to sort out the aggressive Leghorns from the timid smaller breeds or the mayhem will only continue. In the future, it pays to research the breeds you wish to add to your flock, and select for compatibility.

Unfortunately, what you likely have going on is breed temperament incompatibility. Leghorns generally have extremely aggressive temperaments, and it's best to keep a flock limited to just that breed if you want to keep Leghorns. Leghorn roos can be a hand full.

Silkies are the exact opposite of that coin. They do best in a flock of bantams or just Silkies. Putting them with standard breeds is not going to end well most of the time as Silkies are simply too timid to hold their own with chickens larger than they are.

When you have baby chicks, generally, size doesn't begin to be an issue until chicks grow older than four weeks. Up until that age, chicks are usually accepting of other chicks older or younger. Beyond that and the pecking order can kick in.

So, now you know, you need to sort out the aggressive Leghorns from the timid smaller breeds or the mayhem will only continue. In the future, it pays to research the breeds you wish to add to your flock, and select for compatibility.
Alright. Thank you! I found that the silkie and sapphire gems get along really well. Atleast when they're young. The sapphires were always very gentle and I had no issue with them and the little silkie. Same with the Asian blacks I have. The only ones I've had an issue with and the silkie were the leghorns. Thank you ill separate them now

Are all the birds the same age and procured at the same time?
How big is their brooder....or coop and run?
Dimensions and pics could help immensely here.

We got them from a feed store so I would think they're close to the same age but I'm not sure. We picked them all up at the same time and up until now they've been together the whole time. I separated them with. Some chicken wire so they could still see and hear each other. Their in the coop currently its warm enough outside that that could start in there the coop is about 8ft long and 4ft wide so they all should have plenty of room. Once they get bigger we have a run for them thats about 8ft long and 5 or 6 ft wide. They have plenty of room to not trip over each other they roam around the whole coop just fine and only sleep together. Which they do by choice because we have more than one source of heat for them to be with. I have two waters and one feeder. I was planning on buying a second feeder today. The leghorn pullets (I belive they're pullets. They're much smaller than the 2 other leghorns and are rather docile compared to the other 2.) They don't pick on the other chicks and are actually rather close to their size still. I just have 2 chicks that are a little small one had really bad pasty bottom while at the feed store and sadly the store didn't do anything g about it. I'm getting close to clearing it up but she is a little weaker than the rest. I have one waterer with apple cider vinegar diluted with water and they absolutely love it and a second with a little bit of nutra drench to help clear up the pasty bottom and to boost their systems because while they all didn't have pasty bottom as bad as the one chick they all did have it.

Back
Top Bottom