Billionaire Bill Gates says people should have chickens

As others have said -- having a flock of chickens, a goat, a calf -- can change lives:

http://www.heifer.org/

For 20 or is it $25 any individual can provide a flock of chickens (chicks) to needy people. -- the business model has been proven to work. The perspective that they would raise and use their chickens in the exacty way USA backyard owners do -- misses the mark.

Thanks for the interesting conversation.

That the Gates foundation didn't channel their donation through Heifer international doesn't make the idea less of value IMO.
Amen to that. Most of the criticisms reflect an assumption that they'll raise birds the way we do here but our methods are the exception not the rule. I've never seen any chicken swings or chicken diapers in underdeveloped countries. That's only seen here in the US. Most people that raise birds in poor countries do so by any means they have available and they're very successful at it. I know people personally that do it for a living on a small scale and it works well.

Amen to that. Most of the criticisms reflect an assumption that they'll raise birds the way we do here but our methods are the exception not the rule. I've never seen any chicken swings or chicken diapers in underdeveloped countries. That's only seen here in the US. Most people that raise birds in poor countries do so by any means they have available and they're very successful at it. I know people personally that do it for a living on a small scale and it works well.
Such a good insight.

And -- I did put in wrong information - I see that the Gates Foundation is using Heifer International.

People who would need to be self-sufficient would be wise to keep chickens..and possibly rabbits. -- As far as getting bang-for-the-buck. chickens are one of the very best investments. Reading some of the internet links discussing and criticizing Bill Gates for the gesture -- -- like the one with a 5-year chicken farmer or other chicken farmers that criticize the idea -- seems almost like they are factory farm approach. -- The fear of chicken poop -- is kind of amusing. There is a New Zealander - Jonathan White with an approach to intensive gardening -- that would keep chickens JUST FOR THE FERTILIZER that they provide. (once composted) --- And chickens can reduce the insect population!!

Jonathan White in New Zealand
http://veggrowing.com/jonathan-white/

The whole idea of 'uncle Sam needs you to raise chickens' -- that was popular during WWII -- people now-a-days cannot even imagine things like gas rationing and food/meat rationing. -- Those with their own livestock were able to help support family and friends. It is easier to get food from your chickens - it's more reliable and a bit less seasonal than gardening -- sometimes even the best have 'crop failures' -- Yes, chickens can die -- but in the long haul -- if you needed to keep yourself and your family alive - IMO
(like when the zombie apocalypse that is supposed to come...
gig.gif
)

Chickens are your best long-term bet -- with good management -- and that's another reason why you see them so often - as you said in countries where refrigeration, electricity, grocery stores etc. are uncommon.

Such a good insight.

And -- I did put in wrong information - I see that the Gates Foundation is using Heifer International.

People who would need to be self-sufficient would be wise to keep chickens..and possibly rabbits. -- As far as getting bang-for-the-buck. chickens are one of the very best investments. Reading some of the internet links discussing and criticizing Bill Gates for the gesture -- -- like the one with a 5-year chicken farmer or other chicken farmers that criticize the idea -- seems almost like they are factory farm approach. -- The fear of chicken poop -- is kind of amusing. There is a New Zealander - Jonathan White with an approach to intensive gardening -- that would keep chickens JUST FOR THE FERTILIZER that they provide. (once composted) --- And chickens can reduce the insect population!!

Jonathan White in New Zealand
http://veggrowing.com/jonathan-white/

The whole idea of 'uncle Sam needs you to raise chickens' -- that was popular during WWII -- people now-a-days cannot even imagine things like gas rationing and food/meat rationing. -- Those with their own livestock were able to help support family and friends. It is easier to get food from your chickens - it's more reliable and a bit less seasonal than gardening -- sometimes even the best have 'crop failures' -- Yes, chickens can die -- but in the long haul -- if you needed to keep yourself and your family alive - IMO
(like when the zombie apocalypse that is supposed to come...
gig.gif
)

Chickens are your best long-term bet -- with good management -- and that's another reason why you see them so often - as you said in countries where refrigeration, electricity, grocery stores etc. are uncommon.
Chickat you pointed out something I totally forgot until I read your post. That was the part about the New Zealand farmer raising chickens just for the manure. Believe it or not that was the only reason I originally started my flock. Vegetable gardening and small scale farming have been my primary interests all my life and I always wanted chickens for their high quality manure. After starting the flock I really got hooked on them for their other contributions as they are the most productive backyard asset I have. Even after giving them first class care with all the associated costs the way most do here in this country, we still come out on top. In our case the eggs are actually the least of their contributions, and we make about $40 a week selling the excess (10 dozen). That's more than enough to pay for the amount of feed they consume. The high quality manure is free and I could use more of it. I haven't seen a scorpion yet this year and I'm sure I know where they went. Since learning a lot more about them I bought a quality rooster last Sunday and we're working on another coop and run for breeding. The point is I just can't say enough good about them. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this website but my Mom said she told me so and that her family and the families that lived around them in western PA never could've survived the depression without chickens. To me it's just pointing out the obvious.

@chickkat ..for the most part yes ... '' then you know then ... those chickens are already in the pot '' ... africa is extremely shorted sighted ..benefits are realised now !! ..not tomorrow ..now !! Bill gates although having the best intentions doesn't know africa .... its heppy ,heppy today and worry about life tomorrow !!

Isn't that sort of rude? The guy is wanting to help people - being rich doesn't necessarily mean you are filthy - some poor people don't even think about helping anyone - leave him alone.

@chickkat ..for the most part yes ... '' then you know then ... those chickens are already in the pot '' ... africa is extremely shorted sighted ..benefits are realised now !! ..not tomorrow ..now !! Bill gates although having the best intentions doesn't know africa .... its heppy ,heppy today and worry about life tomorrow !!
Interesting...and it reminds me of the 'marshmallow study'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment -

Thinking too - if they got 20 day-old straight run chicks -- and they could raise them until gender identification age...there would be a good chance to have cockerels - and the family would only need to have one guy for sustainable flock -- if the split was 50/50 -- there would be 9 to eat after some weeks. Still leave layers to grow up -- and one male to fertilize the eggs so they could hatch chicks..... pretty sustainable.
wink.png

Isn't that sort of rude? The guy is wanting to help people - being rich doesn't necessarily mean you are filthy - some poor people don't even think about helping anyone - leave him alone.
Hi yeshuarose,
welcome-byc.gif

You bring up some interesting points for sure!~ --- IMO - it is impressive what the Gates foundation is working on. And very courageous to tackle world level problems. Some poor people don't help others -- and some are totally open, kind, generous and giving -- so I guess the generosity isn't based on rich/poor so much as on something else. --

Mae West - said something like 'I've been rich and I've been poor - and rich is better' -- It is easier on your own budget to provide financial donations when you have a lot of money -- but I know people who can barely make ends meet that are astonishingly generous too. --

The other point you bring up -- is something not seen here on BYC so much -- but I see on the internet is how people (is this our current society?) - can fall into rudeness -- and I'm not quite sure that they don't think that it is witty or maybe funny like a Don Rickles comedy routine. (Not sure to whom your remark was directed - because people have opinions kind of all over them map about famous persons and public figures - such as Bill Gates -- and base them on some unusual sources. I could go on and on -- but I wonder if rude was the major motivation of derrogatory comments or if they just thought that they were amusing?

If it was directed towards me I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic above. I've already stated I thought it was a great idea.
Don't care much for Gate's billion $ investments in GMO's and support of Monsanto though.

If it was directed towards me I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic above. I've already stated I thought it was a great idea.
Don't care much for Gate's billion $ investments in GMO's and support of Monsanto though.
So many times - I say some things that I think are so witty and so funny -- I have noticed -- and then later when I go back I can see how they could be construed as being just mean.

It may not have been you -- and sometimes in " print "-- unless there is some little symbol -- we don't know it is sarcastic. Not talking about YOU or anyone on this thread... And this thread isn't the place to discuss -- but it seems when I read comments -- especially aabout thing that have a political bent - people can write things that sound kind of vicious -- and I don't see the USA in that light, and I don't see humanity like that regardless of where they are....
and I think I need to shut up about this topic. It could be aired elsewhere but this thread probably isn't the right place.

That being said -- it is also rather cool IMO that someone who may have missed the sarcastic intent (as I often do) -- will also speak up and defend what they think is right and proper. Both sides have validity.

duc.gif

Too many small minded spoiled rotten people on here maybe.. I lived on six thousand dollars a year at most when disability went up,I could afford no phone cable or internet.. Savage I know. I caught feral game chickens, n was selling hatching eggs for five to several or more a piece, tossing only some sparce cheap crushed dog food handfuls daily from open going bad bags at store n rest of feed was foraged for from woods n fields. They roosted n nested in free boxes stacked in free open dog houses in a free dog pen they came and went from over for adults and through links for chicks. They layed daily med to large eggs, n always raised all chicks self to adulthood. I sold chicks from ten to twenty apiece, n adult hens for fifty, cocks for fifteen to one hundred depending on market. Only pref probs they handled selves challenges being large boar coons n large dogs.. Which they spurred in eyes as I kept low watt light out on dog houses so attracted bugs and they could see n defend against predators at night. I had an owl take off once and hen came back and was back on top of doghouse day later. They need nothing else, they went drank dew off plants n mainly grass in morning. My americanas same but layed large eggs, roosted in trees n made own nests n layed all winter without doghouses for warmth. These designer breeds seem great to most uneducated people but they need great care as haven't any advantages of more natuarl type breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom