Biosecurity 101...what do you do?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
I have my first flock of chicks (6 weeks old) and I've just read gumpsgirl's thread about her terrible tragedy. It has me thinking about biosecurity. So, here is my question:
We often visit other farms with chickens. What are we supposed to do about our shoes? Should we be bleaching them every time? Of course we always wash our hands but how far do we take this?

Dont invite anybody into the yard.

This includes wild birds. If you love them, and are into all that stuff about our "wild feathered friends," well, okay. I can respect that.

But not for me.

My opinion, and it is only that so no one take offense, is this:
They are freeloaders, creating only sentiment in return for their consumption. Thats nice, until you consider that they also represent what amounts to a purely random disease vector in a very cloistered environment. Essentially, the wolf among lambs.

Cold and harsh? Yeah, I suppose. But we go to great lengths to set up and maintain a unique little microcosm we call a hen yard... only to risk it all by allowing these critters to come around.

Last edited:
I have a pair of "off farm boots" that I use when ever I go onto someone else's place. They stay in a plastic bag in my car unless I bring them in to soak them in disinfectant.

The other thing you can do is get plastic shoe covers that you slip on. They are disposable.

Personally if I go onto someone else's place and I suspect the have sick animals I come home and wash everything and spray the car out.

I wouldn't use bleach. I was told by a vet that it is deactivated by manure. So go with a good disinfectant like Viktron.

The chickens have their own coop and run that only I will go in but they also go loose in the yard and the kids run around, their friends who have chickens come over. I can't ban other chicken owners from our yard or not let my kids play at their friends' houses that have chickens! I will drive myself crazy always disenfecting everything and we live green with no chemical cleansers. Is there a way to be safe without going insane?

Back
Top Bottom