Biosecurity when visting breeder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kickinchicken, Oct 10, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hi everyone! [​IMG]
    I am picking up (hopefully) [​IMG] 2 little chickies next week and I have 5 bantams of my own and the breeder has her own flock of bantams. I don't want to expose her flock to my flock and vice versa. I am planning on wearing clothes that were freshly laundered (I will change my outfit after opening the pop door) and wearing my rubber (oh, so cute) rain boots and spraying them down with bleach solution and rinsing before I leave the house. I also plan on: removing my boots and spraying down with bleach solution, leaving them outside, stripping down once the babies are in the brooder and taking a shower and washing the outfit in hot water.
    Any thing else? I know that while my flock "seems" healthy and her flock "seems" healthy, this is not something to go on. [​IMG]

A quarantined bird is a healthy bird! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If this breeder is someone you will want to buy from, she will have her own biosecurity system. Likely you will not be allowed too near the chickens.

3. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Lots of hand-washing in between everything. You can't be too careful, right?

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    at most medical supply shops you can get the little booties that will slide right over your shoes. (the blue hospital ones) you can use them and remember to remove them folding the outside to the middle to keep any germs or bacteria on the inside and then dispose of them in a plastic bag. I use these when I am going to shows and fairs.

I can get a box of 100 for $15 .. BUT I get a bit of a discount because I also use these for work too. If I am going to someones house with MRSA, VRE, C-Diff.. ect... I need to protect my shoes so I dont bring it to another patients home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by