Biosecurity

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
I dont know if this is the right place but i am getting ducks from another BYCer and i was wondering if i need to use the bio security and if so what do i do?
th.gif

Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!
ALWAYS...no matter what, use bio security!
It doesn't matter if they come from your nicest next door neighbor or from miles away in another state, you need to isolate them from your flock for at least 3 weeks, preferably a month if you can.
No If's, Ands, or Buts!

There are lots of links on here for integrating new ducks/chickens into your flock and many different views but everyone should isolate any new birds for the appropriate time and also make sure to totally sanitize your hands, shoes, clothes after handling them.

Whenever I've gotten new birds or started another flock with new chicks in a coop, I make sure to do my regular flock first and then after washing up and putting new baggies over my shoes I go into the new flock. I totally wash up again and take off the baggies outside, put into garbage and change clothes before doing anything else. I never cross contaminate between flocks.

Always keep new birds quarantined from your flock for at least a month, longer if you can. That way you can observe the new birds and see if they have any signs of illness.

Biosecurity is a good idea..in theory at least
tongue.png

One Saturday while I was working on the yard, I saw no less than 2 dozen different wild birds show up. Woodpeckers, doves, sparrows, finches, hummingbirds, starlings, crows, chickadees, etc...

They drank out of the pond, stood right near the ducks as they foraged, and flew around to the different plants, and, of course, pooped all over my yard.

Back
Top Bottom