Bipolar Rooster???

The bird is conditioning you.
If I peck, I get attention. If i tantrum I get treats / snuggles / etc.
You basically are re enforcing it's bad behavior by essentially rewarding it every time it acts up.

They are going to do this anyways as they establish dominance, reach puberty etc etc. You need to set the ground rules on who's the boss EARLY or it's going to just get worse, and be harder to break.

You can try the hold face down into the dirt and talk stern to it, if it works then great. I had this work only one time for me.
You can try a kick to the face or four, it may work, if so great deal. .A good ass beating works wonders on pets and snotty crumb snatchers too. IF I bow up on him im going to get bruised... I think ill pass on that.... The other two roosters took a few boots to the head and they learned, 1 totally learned and got very nice after that, the other kept its distance but I could tell he wanted me.

I had one that just didn't learn, it came at me once too often, one day it tried to spur me (again) and I whalloped it with a cast iron frying pan, cleaned its clock right then and there. Made sure the other birds watched me clean him too and had him for lunch. Never had a problem after that. Now they see me come in and basically ignore me. The girls don't, they know i bring treats :)

Each has its own attitude and upbringing, and honestly, while certain species may have tendencies towards mean / nice, there is no telling until they get ornery. You may think it's cute, or oh I can deal with it, it's just a minor inconvenience but what happens when that b$#%tard does a sneak attack, cheap shots you and catches you in the face or the eyeball with a spur and permanently injures / disfigures / blinds you. They CAN cause serious injury very easily. If you have kids, well it can get worse. It's a problem that needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Aaron

Different perspective and my experience. This is very unpopular here and in most chicken circles.
I have had good luck taming my roosters with hand feeding and a stern voice. This doesn’t work for all roosters but it has worked for me and mine. I have been pecked in the eyes, teeth, legs, you name it. I love roosters. But I have a buff silkie that likes to attack, bite/ flogg, my ankles. I have been working with him to stop this behavior. It has been working with my methods. I haven’t had to hold him down or eat him. He has started to associate me with treats and food. Not aggression and being scared. I can now handle his hens without him attacking. Before he would sneak up on me and attack me when I walked into his run. Now he doesn’t. Now he just runs to me for food.
I also have a lap rooster that I’ve hand fed since he was chick. He has never flogged anyone. All he has known is being on my lap, hand feeding, and being spoiled. He does have hens and I can handle them without him getting mad. I haven’t had to actually dominate any of my roosters. And I have had mean ones. At one point I had one that I was the only one that could get near him. I got him tame to the point where he could be rehomed and was trusting of people again. Kindness begets kindness. Aggression begets aggression. Just my opinion. Again not a popular one. But domination isn’t the only thing out there.

agreed, always try kindness first but some roosters will see kindness as weakness and then you have to fight aggression with aggression when it comes to them. Aggression does not always beget more, in the animal kingdom it begets dominance and YOU are the boss and the others will submit to YOUR wishes. Look at the way hens will henpeck each other until an order is established. Some can get VERY nasty with other girls, to the point of killing them even. Each bird is different, and one will have to see what works, Personally I will not be terrorized by a rooster, and it will end up dinner, because there are so many out there that ARE so friendly that there is no need to put up with that really.

Where these roosters were at in my circumstance, they got there because people got rid of them because of their nastiness. The ones that came around stayed around. The others' well, eventually turned into a cock a doodle poo.

With that being said, is there any way one can trim or remove a spur w/o causing a lot of harm to the bird? That might be an option too if its possible.

aaron

Thats so nice of you. Did he enjoy this meal?
Salt And Pepper Thank You GIF by GIF Greeting Cards
I have an odd feeling he expected something else.

I got a Diddy silkie mix she's a mean bugger she does exactly what your boy does to u lol
Here she is pretty lil gal but bloody evil sure she was spawned from satan lol. Her names Gilbert as I thought she was a boy at start and with her behaviour the name stuck lol

Attachments

• 20220809_101802.jpg
    20220809_101802.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220809_101753.jpg
    20220809_101753.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom