Bird acting oddly. What could it be?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karmlacres, Feb 7, 2012.

1. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I went to check on my birds this evening, like every night. My "old girl" as I call her (she's going on 2 this spring) was standing in the corner by herself. I threw out some corn which usually causes all the birds to go bonkers getting to it. She didn't even look my way. I got some fresh water, moved things around in the coop, checked on the food feeder, etc. Still, she stood there. She was alert, looking around, stnading. But she seemed "off". She wasn't holding her head up but it wasn't drooping down. She watched us, she watched the dogs. One of the roos came and rounded her up and out of the corner and she went under the feeder where we tossed out some corn to try to get her attention. She seemed uninterested. She eventually made her way back to the corner.

I'm afraid I'm going to have a sick (or even dead) bird in the morning :( If she's still alive, what kind of things should I look for and what can I do for her. She's not even 2 yet. She's never been sick. She's been a great layer.

Tracy

2. ChicknChic

ChicknChic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I'm so sorry about your chicken. I'm new to chickens so I have no idea what it could be. I hope shes feeling better in the morning.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Tracy

Hope that you will post back in the morning to tell us that your "old girl" is o.k. Every now and then a chicken will have an off day and then they will be fine.

One of the good things is that you noticed it early, so you will keep your eye on her. If she seems lethargic tomorrow you may want to isolate her. I think her behavior could be due to a large number of things.

You said 2-years old, but you didn't say what breed of chicken. Do you know if she is laying regularly? Have you checked carefully for parasites? Are there any other possible symptoms? Could she be going broodY? (sometimes they seem to be in a dream or a trance)-- My oldest turned her beak up at meal worms today? can you imagine that? Then she went over to some nice dirt and just kind of zoned into nap time.

Keep us posted. Hopefully you will get a lot of good advice from the BYC members.

4. karmlacres

karmlacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm happy to report that this morning she was back to her normal self. Yea!!!

Just as an FYI, to fill in some blanks...

I don't know what breed she is. I was given two chicks and two ducklings in a trade for a door. That's another story. hahaha I lucked out and had "mating pairs" of each. Anyways, these were chicks the lady hatched. Likely she is a mutt. Sadly, I do not have the other 3 of the original batch (roo died at the hands of cows <- from what we can tell) and the ducks escaped during the "murder" ... fled the scene.

She has never shown any signs of broodiness. She has laid nearly every day since she started around 5 months of age. She'll skip days here and there. Now, here's something to note. Monday morning when my husband went to the birds, he says he got two eggs from "her spot" and they appeared to be from the same girl. I have 4 laying they each have their own place and style of egg. I don't think I got an egg from her the day before but it is still very bewildering to have 2 eggs Monday morning. But Sunday was SuperBowl Sunday and we only went to the farm once that day instead of the normal two. It's still a bit peculiar to me to have two eggs in what I perceive to be a short timeframe.

She was herself this morning and there was an egg there. I had even commented that she just must have had a bad day yesterday. I was so happy to see her up and about and "normal". I don't like death. Period. So I was not looking forward to dealing with it. Me dealing with it is more of me telling my hubby to do something with it. He doesn't like it either but I guess I don't like it more so he will handle it. :)

Off to candle some eggs! You all should have heard the prayer my little 4 yr old said to God, praying for "more girls". It was sooo sweet :)

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Glad she's fine. Maybe, its just a woman thing LOL.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Love to hear that the hen is O.K. -- it is always such a happy ending.

Mine is back to her normal self today too---- ahh those chickens. Thanks for taking the time to update on her.

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I've had that happen a couple times with some of my hens. They act "off". Stay in one spot, kind of a little fluffed up. lethargic. I gave them each a hot soak bath and blow dry, in case they were maybe egg bound. Perfectly normal the next day. i think the word is getting around...."Want a spa treatment? Act sick!!" lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by