Bird band Date question

Birmroller is short for Birmingham roller... the breed of pigeon that the club is associated with. What you have is a pigeon that was banded with an old band (very old). At this point, it could have been banded by anyone who was in possession of the band. It doesn't mean it was a band of Jerry's... it could have been any member from the club at that time. It's just a band so it doesn't mean the bird is very valuable. Performance and results of breeding would set the birds worth for the most part.

I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle
Birmroller is short for Birmingham roller... the breed of pigeon that the club is associated with. What you have is a pigeon that was banded with an old band (very old). At this point, it could have been banded by anyone who was in possession of the band. It doesn't mean it was a band of Jerry's... it could have been any member from the club at that time. It's just a band so it doesn't mean the bird is very valuable. Performance and results of breeding would set the birds worth for the most part.

I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle. If the bird is more valuable than the $10 I paid for it as a training bird then I would want to return it to it's owner. (I'm a bit annoyed in general that the trappers are selling banded birds to people as training birds. They should be making an effort to return those birds) this bird went through a trapper and then to a store before landing in our hands so someone along the way should have done the right thing. (This isn't the first time this has occurred for me)

However all of my efforts so far have landed me with a club name ran by jerry higgins, all email and phone numbers are dead.

If I can't get it back to it's owner but it's more valuable than what I paid I'd like to move it down the road to someone who's into rollers.

At this point what do I do?

Well, with a band that old it would be impossible to directly trace it to the owner. Often times even if you do track down the owner, they will either deny it's theirs or not even want it back. If you are really dead set on finding the owner/breeder, I think the only thing you could do is post a found ad and hope that the owner would by some chance see the ad and respond (that is if they are even in the same state as you)... it's probably like those one in a million shots. I wouldn't really worry about it being more valuable than what you paid though. Rollers are usually a dime a dozen type bird. And if someone truly did have something very valuable I doubt they would be putting such an old band on it... it was probably more of a joke, like hey look at how old this bird I have is...

didnt know that!! so I may have purchased a valuable bird for $10?
Woah now!

That is my opinion that Jerry Higgins is up there with them. And to say that because its from them is a good bird is silly. The best breeders still breed bad birds.

Don't feel like you need to return it to the owner. You can try, but my guess is they don't want it like @Old_Strain_Lover said.

Woah now!

That is my opinion that Jerry Higgins is up there with them. And to say that because its from them is a good bird is silly. The best breeders still breed bad birds.

Don't feel like you need to return it to the owner. You can try, but my guess is they don't want it like @Old_Strain_Lover said.

Did a little bit of searching and saw Jerry Higgins bloodline birds up for sale that were in the hundreds of dollars. in any event theres too much going on here to know anything for sure so Im not going to attempt to find out any further. I reckon that Ive done my due diligence and unless someone who knows something happens to spout up between now and when I part with the bird then I am going to let that sleeping dog lay.

kinda a neat bit of research into a part of recentish bird history that I didnt know anything about though.

Back
Top Bottom