Bird died again

Chicona

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Got another out of the blue dead same as my other posts
Thistime we got her to the vet and she died with the vet he said she has fluid in the lung and can’t swallow antibiotics he said it’s a lung or heart bacterial infection spread by wild birds and to make sure there vaccinated at birth

I’ve always been clean and not done vaccinations as I am against most , but how do people get by without deaths if they don’t vaccinate ?

How can I make sure the rest of the flock is safe now ? He said keep chicken free for 3 month but then it’s luck of the draw from wild birds too ?

What can I do besides putting them permemnetly indoors ?
How can I protect them ?
What can I do ?
I got my main breed line my baby boy there he sits on my lap I don’t want them dieing but this is death 4 this summer all weeks or months appart ??

Do I need any meds ? What can I do I am in a state of panic now please help me

I have her and I can do autopsy if needed

Hi! My recommendation would be to get chicks from a local breeder if possible. I don't know what the breed is that you have, but what I've seen is the hybrids in my flock didn't do well, while the mutts are doing great. The two that are local mutts are my healthiest birds. We live in the woods and are a wild bird sanctuary with all the different kinds that come through here and stay here.

Can you post pictures of your birds and your set up? Where are you located?

If you can afford it, definiely do an autopsy. If you're in the USA, here's the list of nearest state labs. Call ahead of time and ask their procedure and how to ship. Refridgerate body until shipment.

An autopsy will (should) provide definitive answers that none of the rest of us can. Good luck!!! So sorry you've lost so many birds!!!

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

If you can afford it, definiely do an autopsy. If you're in the USA, here's the list of nearest state labs. Call ahead of time and ask their procedure and how to ship. Refridgerate body until shipment.

An autopsy will (should) provide definitive answers that none of the rest of us can. Good luck!!! So sorry you've lost so many birds!!!

Would be a home autopsy as there isn’t any here that I can afford or meet requirements to

@SmiYa0126 il gets pics in 15mins it’s wet as atm storm week so done expect to see a palace lol they kick the dust up somthing bad or swamp even lol

The state vet can do a necropsy that will give you a diagnosis if it is something serious, such as avian flu or others. Here is where to contact them:
I’m in the uk , they want £150 to do it and online want a minimum of 3 dead birds or culll 3 birds for test lol I only have 15 birds

So this is the yard and up top is their dust bath area ,
Been running guttering and stuff with all the rain which are all dismantled as I made some temp changes as you will see

The floor was good soil with layers of sawdust and peat added to that to layer it and stop mush wet logging soil , I plant to grow grass for them on it beet a mesh bit with week of storms it’s been hell wet barrels overflowing the lot lol

There is a ladder system for them to pirch on and I power hose the area down weekly straight into sewers ,

I’ve used hydrogen peroxide and citric acid and cleaned alll areas where the sick bird was
I’ve lined the shed with plastic and then den them off the mud
The coops next to them you can see is our other rooster and his 4old lady’s he’s a shy bird he’s happy in there and doesn’t like our black dale too much anyway lol dale doesn’t care lol he’s a peace loving animal
80128CF1-DF98-4D8D-ADD6-7415B8BDD36B.jpeg
6427BE80-CC59-4483-A656-5E3BD48DCCAD.jpeg
B866307A-58DB-483F-9B4E-CC99A0081708.jpeg
EE28DA39-90B4-43E9-8C26-C6497F1EC164.jpeg
A790EC5F-5A8C-4060-8D2B-243E15713502.jpeg
8F22B486-75C8-4A38-A104-2AF4EEC68432.jpeg
0D4CEDD3-D99A-4550-9543-8531934537AF.jpeg

Hello! Nothing stands out as an issue, you have a nice obstacle course. The only thing I would recommend is to keep it as dry as possible, anything with standing water should be cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom