Bird feed for scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mskayladog, May 30, 2012.

1. Can I buy bird seed to use as scratch? Thanks

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes you can, my chickens just love it!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's usually pricy relative to what is ordinarily sold as chicken scratch, but it works well. They'll love it.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Songster

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    It gets so hot in New Orleans and I've read that corn increases body heat, so I switch to bird seed as scratch in the summer time. I also plant some bird seed for the girls to eat once it's sprouted.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Nope,
    It's just a old wives tail that will never die.

Corn will not increase body heat. [​IMG]

Chris

2 people like this.
  6. Around here the bird feed is cheaper then scratch, I got a song bird food with out corn it has dried cherries, raisins,millet, sunflower seed, nuts and black sunflower seeds. The girls loved it.
    Gave some last night and this morning when I shook the mason jar they came running out of the lean to.
    My girls have so much room in the lean to they don't go outside much or it could be they are afraid and only feel comfy when I'm outside with them. Either way the scratch got their fluffy butts out of the lean to.

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Songster

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA

That's great to know. I can now give them their regular scratch in the summer. But they also love the bird seed so much, I'll give them that also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: