bird flu. new rules Dec 2020 uk

Tmullerd

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
hi uk chicken keepers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55201167
how indoors is indoors? my 4 are in a galvanised wire mesh run which we let them out of to free range the garden every day. would just keeping them in the run be enough? or would I need to put tarpaulin over it or something do you think?

I’ve read it as if we need to cover the top of the run to stop any wild bird droppings and keep the hens inside there housing (run and coop). It is very confusing though

My small flock of four chickens usually have the run of my garden. I will confine them to their chicken run, which they will hate, but it will have to be done.
My runs are wire mesh with roofs and tarpaulins, but I'm going to shore up defences by covering the wire mesh with bird netting so that wild birds cannot enter.
I am also stepping up my disinfectant regime and will have a bowl of Jeyes fluid to wash footwear as I enter and exit the run.

I cannot believe that most of the year I have been mask-wearing, hand-sanitising, social-distancing because of Covid-19, and now will be disinfecting and putting hens into lockdown because of Avian Flu. What a year.

Hi Heather. West coast here, and Newcastle disease is what we have. (And it's no joke):(
I guess there's something to worry about in every country. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. How is this contained to one part of the country? I thought this was under control or almost under control, but it's certainly scary and worrisome nonetheless. I'll be thinking of you and all of our members in the areas impacted by this as well. My heart goes out to you. This is making me realize that I need to do better with my flocks to keep them safe. I wish you the very best

I had a beautiful tribe of 14 birds, (I only have four left) :hit
In reality, we can do everything in our power to keep them safe and stuff like this can still invade our flocks. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure this has been extremely difficult for you. My heart hurts for you. Please know that I am sending you virtual hugs

We are fortunate that this hasn't hit us in the U.S. so far. I'm in east Texas so we haven't dealt with Newcastle either.
My heart goes out to you all!
I have a couple of suggestions that might help. I hope. Interchangeable fodder and /or grass frames can keep them entertained. You might possible make hardware tunnels in your yards with just strips of narrow tarp covering the very top? A cheap wire dog kennel with a tarp cover for an alternative run when they get bored may help.

Back
Top Bottom