Bird flu

Pinkaboo

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Cornwall in the UK
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...rd-flu-northern-English-farm-H5N8-strain.html

We have had the first case of bird flu in the UK this year and I'm worried about how I interact with my chickens now, I'm quite complacent cleaning out coops without gloves or mask, even though it can be dusty

I kiss and hug them loads, I magpie sure I have a cuddle with everyone of them(27)
Picture love them as pets eggs are a bonus

Now I'm worried about my 'habits' kisses are often snotty( the bird not me) I don't want to be the person who mutated bird flu to spread human to human

I also want m&d birds safe it's seems being completely closed in is the only safe option
I'm going to move food and water indoors but the coop is only big enough to seep in.

They have an enclosed run but it's not solid its chicken wire

Any advice???

The best you can do is probably keep your chickens and yourself healthy and use good biosecurity measures. Don't wear clothes or shoes from the public to or from your birds. Do what you can to keep wild birds away from your flock. If that's even possible. Good luck.

If you were able to completely enclose your chicken run about 10' out from it, that should keep wild birds far enough away from your flock. And when the risk of bird flu is over you would have another run for your chickens.

If you were able to completely enclose your chicken run about 10' out from it, that should keep wild birds far enough away from your flock. And when the risk of bird flu is over you would have another run for your chickens.

Not sure I understand, the run is wood panels covered in chicken wire,mfront panel has a door and roof is chicken wire, no birds can get into it but trees are above it so wild bird droppings could go into food and water

Not sure I understand, the run is wood panels covered in chicken wire,mfront panel has a door and roof is chicken wire, no birds can get into it but trees are above it so wild bird droppings could go into food and water
This is what I was talking about the black representing your current coop & run and the green representing new fence, complete with roof. Keeping wild birds, people, & animals away from your birds, or you could put a solid roof on your existing run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom