bird id?

millipede

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Siloam Springs, AR
So, we got some young sebrights from someone a few months ago. As they grew, we realized one wasn't a sebright. They sure looked a lot alike when they were just a couple weeks old. This person had game birds of some sort. We've been assuming he's a bantam but, now I'm not 100% sure on that which isn't good because my son LOVES him and we've been picking up a few bantam hens for him. He's bigger then at least the one in this picture. The boy is about 3 months, or so... the hen is about 5 or so. She is smaller but looks even smaller because of the pose.
Any ideas on the breed(s) as it's likely a mutt??? possibly game/sebright? If so... I don't know if my wife remembers the guy she bought them from... or if she remembers how big his other birds were. Any thoughts on how big this guy will get? I'm HOPING he's about done growing. I don't know what I'll do if he turned out to be a standard bird and here we are buying bantam hens for him.

Attachments

• darby.JPG
    darby.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
Gorgeous birds! 🥰 Because of his color and the speckles on his chest I think he might be a golden sebright/bantam game mix. The games were possibly Old English Game bantams.

He'd be a lot bigger if he were a standard breed. Our little Old English Game cockerel at 3 months old is slightly smaller than our 8 week old standard breed cockerel, and the standard is a lot heavier with great big, thick dinosaur legs and feet.

My thoughts too. Has some Old English Game Bantam in him and possibly Sebright too, although that would mean the Sebright would have to be heterogeneous and carry the single comb gene to my understanding. Assuming that the Sebright was even a carrier for a rose comb, that only gives a single comb a 25% chance of happening. I'm no expert on genetics by any means, but that's what the punnet square indicates. That would make me skeptical of any Sebright in the genetics since he has a single comb

Back
Top Bottom