Bird Injury Story

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hello,

So, this is not a chicken injury story, just so you know.

I want to share with all of you an experience I had two days ago.

Some back story, I lost a hen to a Red Tail Hawk once. I have always looked out for raptors since then, protecting my hens, who are now passed on.

Two days ago, I was driving to Kemmerer, Wyoming with my dad. We came across an injured Red Tail Hawk on the road. He wasnt flying, just staring. It looked like he was hit by a car.

We pulled over, and stepped out of our car. Here is a video of exactly what happened. My dad took this video.

I planned to take him to the Animals in Distress Association. However, by the way he was breathing and moving, he didnt have much longer to live. All we could do was move him off the road so he wouldnt be hit again. It actually looked like he was accepting our help. He let me hold him and move him to a safe spot.

Injured Red Tail Hawk.jpg

After moving him, It was clear he was going to die. We gave him a little love, and wished him luck in the next world. After that, he passed peacefully.

Well, that is my story. I hope you enjoyed reading it!

Jared

Thank you for caring.. Ive had bad experiences with them too.. But they are Gods creatures and deserve love too.. You were there for a reason..

Thank you for caring.. Ive had bad experiences with them too.. But they are Gods creatures and deserve love too.. You were there for a reason..

Yes, they are God's Creatures. I actually have a very firm belief in this.

I believe that we as humans are stewards of the earth. We not only can use the earth to do our own things, but we also have a responsibility to preserve it and not overuse it.

I helped that hawk because of this belief.

Jared

We had a juvenile red tail hawk fly right into the house one day. It broke it’s neck and died instantly. It was a beautiful bird. We have a lot of them who fly around out area, and I have lost a couple of chickens over the years from them. Glad that you tried to help the hawk.

@Eggcessive, I'm glad I tried to help it too. The plan was to take it to the animals in distress Association. they're federally licensed to handle this kind of stuff. However, he died before we could make that decision.

Well, it was still a good experience helping out a predatory bird!

Back
Top Bottom