Bird nest with babies fell out of tree

Snow

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
Michigan
This bird nest was knocked out of a pine tree this evening by my chickens attempting to roost in the tree. I found three babies on the ground near it that seem to be OK. Does anyone have any idea what kind of birds they are and whether it might be possible for me to raise them and then turn them loose? I have the nest in my incubator now and whenever I open the lid all the babies open their mouths for food. After I found the nest and brought it inside I saw what I think are the parents looking around for the nest and birds. I put it in a small tupperware container and duct taped it to the tree, left it alone for about a half hour but when I checked again didn't see the parents anywhere and it was almost dark then.

birds.jpg

birds2.jpg

I would have tried to put them back in the tree. The parent birds should return. All the while I would keep an eye on them. If the parents don't return, call a nature center and ask them what to do. Maybe someone else here can help. I usually let nature take care of itself. But I'm sure someone here has raised baby birds and can help!

Good Luck!!!

ETA ~ or look online for a wildlife rescue. Don't call animal control, a zoo or a vet .... they will not help!

Last edited:
yeah, call a wildlife rehabilitation center. poor babies! maybe try again to put them back in the tree?

I did put the nest back in the tree, had to use tupperware and duct tape because there was no place I could reach that would hold it otherwise. The parents didn't come back by dark and now it's pouring down rain. Should I try to put it back in the tree again tomorrow? I'll Google for a nature center but don't know of any in this area. I have heard of people raising baby birds and setting them free though, just don't know how to do it.

My 10 year old did this on May 23rd. 4 out of 5 were hatched, and it blew out of a tree. Our recipe was 1 scrambled egg, 1 container baby food turkey (chicken) and 1 container baby food carrots, 2 multi-vitamins, 2 big handfuls of watered down dog food and water ground down to a liquidy consistance.

We now as of today have one left that has refused to learn how to feed amongst other birds...he is our "crusty" bird...they will get incredibly dirty. The others have 'flown the coop' so to speak...ours were/our cowbirds, but yours could be robins...they will want to fly away at 2 weeks, but need to be taught howto eat..... they are so adorable... pm me if you have questions...

p.s. Don't feed them after dark and make sure they're under a light just like chicks, but not quite so hot...if they're staying up at night, they are either too cold or too warm. You'll know just by watching them....

Wow, a June bug just flew into my house, I swatted it, tore it into little pieces and fed them to the baby birds, on the ends of toothpicks, and all three eagerly gobbled them up!

Thanks for the info, Chicks4kids. How do I teach them to eat before they fly away? I could confine them to a dog crate outside.

Wow! You have really got your work cut out for you. Forage for worms. You'll have to tear them up like you did the june bug. Also if you have a pet store close, you might be able to find some hand feeding baby bird food on the shelf. Perhaps someone with baby bird feeding experience will be able to fill you in on how to get these babies grown and flown.

I have to add that when we feed these birds with our "concoction" we use the eraer end of a pencil to feed them with....works wonderfully. Much better than a syringe or plunger.

Back
Top Bottom